- CILT Home
- About Us
- Teaching & Learning
- Active Learning Strategies
- Consulting & Training
- Course Design
- -- Overview
- -- Online Course Design
- -- Backwards Course Design
- -- Request an ID Consultation
- How do I?
- -- Assess & Evaluate
- -- Communicate & Collaborate
- -- Organize
- -- Present
- -- Create Accessible Content
- Instructional Design Consulting
- -- Teaching with Technology Tips
- -- Educational Resources
- Open Education Resources
- Terms & Definitions
- Tech Support
- Get Help
- Center for Instructional and Learning Technologies
- Blackboard Timeline
- How to Order
- Terms and Conditions
- Home Use Software
- License Renewal Time Periods
- Request to Become a Software Coordinator
- UND Software Store
- Non-Standard Hardware & Software Purchase Form
- Adobe Creative Cloud Pricing
Blackboard Maintenance and Upgrades
Scheduled routine system maintenance hours are:
- Tuesday 4:00-7:00 a.m.
- Thursday 4:00-7:00 a.m.
- Friday 4:00-7:00 a.m.
Learning Objects scheduled system maintenance occurs every third Sunday from 4:00-6:00 a.m.
There are two scheduled two-day maintenance/upgrade times, and one scheduled maintenance time during the year:
- Winter Break (maintenance/upgrade)
- Spring Break (maintenance only for required security updates)
- August prior to start of fall semester (maintenance/upgrade)
The following dates/times were recommended October 10, 2011 by the CILT Academic Advisory Committee, including faculty representatives from all UND Colleges/schools, and approved by the Provost's Office. questions or concerns, contact Lori Swinney at 701.777.3569 or lori.swinney@UND.edu
Winter Break - Maintenance and Upgrades
- 2016 - 1/2 Noon - 1/4 Noon (Sat-Mon)
- 2016/2017 - 12/31 Noon - 1/2 Noon (Sat-Mon)
- 2017/2018 - 12/30 Noon - 1/1 Noon (Sat-Mon)
- 2018 - 12/29 Noon - 12/31 Noon (Sat-Mon)
Spring Break - Maintenance and Required Security Updates Only
- 2016 - 3/15 - 8 a.m. - 3/17 - 8 a.m. (Tues-Thurs)
- 2017 - 3/14 - 8 a.m. - 3/16 - 8 a.m. (Tues-Thurs)
- 2018 - 3/13 - 8 a.m. - 3/15 - 8 a.m. (Tues-Thurs)
- 2019 - 3/12 - 8 a.m. - 3/14 - 8 a.m. (Tues-Thurs)
- 2016 - 8/12 - 8 a.m. - 8/14 - 8 a.m. (Fri-Sun)
- 2017 - 8/11 - 8 a.m. - 8/13 - 8 a.m. (Fri-Sun)
- 2018 - 8/10 - 8 a.m. - 8/12 - 8 a.m. (Fri-Sun)
Current Production Version: 9.1 October 2014 Release – August 2015
- 9.1 April 2014 (Upgraded from 9.1 SP14) -August 2014
- 9.1 SP14 (Upgraded from 9.1 SP 12) – December 2013
- 9.1 SP12 (upgraded from 9.1 SP9) - August 2013
- 9.1 SP9 (upgraded from 9.1 SP6) - December 2012
- 9.1 SP6 (upgraded from 9.1 SP5) - December 2011
- 9.1 SP5 (upgraded from 9.1 SP3) - May, 2011
- 9.1 SP3 (upgraded from version 8.0) – May, 2010
- 8.0 (upgraded from 7.3) – May, 2009
Simply put, upgrades are part of every software program, and are intended to provide new functionality based on instructor and student feedback. Also of significant importance is that upgrades offer solutions to current issues and problems with the software. The question is not "should we upgrade", but more accurately, "when is our next upgrade". The Blackboard environment is an enterprise system with high priority here at UND. There are many important factors and reasons that upgrading is important. Upgrades provide the opportunity to enhance, improve, address issues, and solve problems that currently exist with the key teaching and learning system we have on campus.
Upgrades are important in order to take advantage of the many resolved issues and new feature sets described in more detail below.
Continuous quality improvement requires ongoing and frequent software upgrades, patches, hardware improvements, and overall monitoring of the system.
What's new in Blackboard? Click to learn more about features and functionality available in Blackboard.
- 2015 - The upgrade to October 2014 Release was completed in August 2015.
- 2013 - The upgrade to SP14 was completed in December 2013.
- 2013 - The upgrade to SP12 was completed in August 2013.
- 2012 - The upgrade to SP9 was completed in December 2012.
- 2011 - The upgrade to SP6 was completed in December 2011.
- 2010 - Blackboard Content System was added to the existing Learn and Community December 2010, providing virtual storage for all users and sharing of content between courses and users.
- 2010 - August 2010 UND updated Blackboard to integrate with the campus single username authentication system,2010 - SP3 was implemented in the Winter 2010.
- 2010 - May 2010 Blackboard 9.1 was installed which included significant design and feature changes.
- 2009 - UND moved to Blackboard 8 in the summer of 2009.
- 2007 - Blackboard 7.1 in August of 2007.
- 2004 - Moving forward, we upgraded to Blackboard 6.2 in the fall of 2004
- 2004 - As our usage grew over the 2001 to 2003 time period, we realized that we needed a mission critical enterprise installation. In January 2004, we installed the Blackboard 6 Learning System.
- 2001 - Upgrade to Blackboard 5 Level 1 in April 2001.
- 2000 – UND adopted Blackboard as the supported Course Management System for the campus.
- 1999 - UND first purchased Blackboard (CourseInfo) in 1999. It was tested by faculty during fall 1999 and spring 2000 as a pilot. CourseInfo was later renamed as Blackboard Learn.