- Center for Instructional and Learning Technologies
- Tech Support
- Email Transition Information
A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
Student Email Migration
Email accounts for new and current students (enrolled in at least one credit as of Fall 2015) have been migrated to the unified Microsoft Office 365 email system. Email access for former students ended on June 1, 2016.
Email Migration Information
Why Did this Occur?
Students and faculty/staff were previously on separate email systems, which limited some of the collaborative features and functionality. The migration took place to consolidate the student Office 365 system with the faculty/staff system.
Because of this change, current students now have access to several new features including:
- OneDrive for Business file storage, which gives students access to 1 TB of cloud storage. Share files with instructors, classmates, clubs or other campus organization members.
- Chat and video collaboration with Skype for Business (formerly known as Lync). Instant message, audio call, or video conference with instructors, classmates, club or other organization members.
- SharePoint, which allows users to share and collaborate resources with any other student, faculty or staff member within the North Dakota University System.
What has changed?
Current and Recent Students
- New and current UND student email addresses will be NDUS.IDentifer@UND.edu Example: jane.doe@UND.edu (please note: your sign-in address is @NDUS.edu)
- Email address used for sending/receiving email will appear as NDUS.Identifier@UND.edu
- Current students who previously used the @my.UND.edu email address will receive mail sent to this address within their @UND.edu email account.
Logging into Email and O365 services:
- The sign-in email address used to access email and authenticate all Office 365 services is: NDUS.Identifer@NDUS.edu (ex: email@example.com)
- NDUS.Identifier@my.UND.edu will no longer work as a username
- Passwords continue to be synchronized with the NDUS account password. This is the same password used to log into Campus Connection and Blackboard. Visit this website for password questions.
Address to Access Email & Configure Mobile Devices
- To access email, go to Outlook Web Access/OWA (mail.office365.com).
- Mobile devices will need to be updated by following the instructions found at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-suite-help/set-up-and-use-office-365-on-your-phone-or-tablet-HA102818686.
Email Message, Calendar, and Contact Migration
- Calendar events and contacts were not migrated to the new system.
- Email messages were moved over to the new system for current students. However, former students who were not enrolled in classes at the University of North Dakota during the Fall 2015 semester, were not migrated to the new system.
Employees who are also UND students
Please note: If your primary role at UND is a student, your work email is now consolidated with your student email account. Please see information for Current and Recent Students.
If your primary role at UND is faculty/staff, the following information pertains to you:
- You will continue to use your @UND.edu faculty/staff email account.
- Messages from your @my.UND.edu email account have been copied into your @UND.edu account.
- Future messages sent to your @my.UND.edu email account will be forwarded to your @UND.edu account.
- Email address used for sending/receiving email will appear as NDUS.Identifier@UND.edu.
Username and Password to Access Email and O365 services:
- You will continue to use the same username and password as you do now to access your @UND.edu faculty/staff email account.
Address to Access Email & Configure Mobile Devices
- If your @UND.edu email was previously synced to your mobile devices, then you do not need to make any changes. You will now receive all messages in your @UND.edu account.
Email Message, Calendar, and Contact Migration
- Calendar events and contacts from your @my.UND.edu account will not be migrated to your @UND.edu account.
Prior students who were not enrolled in classes at the University of North Dakota during the Fall 2015 semester will not be migrated to the new system. Access to the @my.UND.edu email accounts ended on June 1, 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happened to the email accounts for former students?
Due to the large number of accounts, students who were not enrolled in classes at the University of North Dakota during the Fall 2015 semester, were not migrated to the new email system. Access to @my.UND.edu email accounts ended on June 1, 2016.
What should I do if I'm a former student and no longer have access to my @my.UND.edu account?
If you are a former student, then you will need to obtain a new account from an email service provider.
Move the email messages that you would like to retain to the new email system.
- Some email systems have ways of doing this in bulk or you may wish to forward only the email messages you wish to keep to your new email account. Another option is to export mail, contacts, and calendar items as a .PST file.
- Instructions for moving email to some of the major email providers are below:
As of June 1, 2016, all accounts were locked. If you need temporary access to move your mail to a new system, please contact UND Tech Support.
Update your email address on all of your accounts.
- If you have used your UND student email address for any accounts, then you will need to update those accounts to point to your new email address. Below are a few sites that can assist with this:
Will I still get messages that are sent to NDUS.Identifier@my.UND.edu?
Current students who previously had an @my.UND.edu email account will continue to receive email that is sent to NDUS.Identifier@my.UND.edu.
New students will only receive messages sent to NDUS.Identifier@UND.edu.
Former students who previously had a forward in the @my.UND.edu account to send mail to another email provider will continue to receive messages sent to this address until December 2016. Former students should send an updated email address to contacts immediately.
How do I update my smartphone or tablet?
New and Current Students:
To set up and use Office 365 on your phone or tablet, follow the instructions at http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd936215.aspx Remember to use NDUS.Identifier@NDUS.edu
Please review the instructions for your specific email provider.
Were my email messages, contacts and calendar items migrated to the new system?
- Email messages were automatically migrated to the new system.
- Contacts and calendar items were NOT moved to the new account.
- If you use a smartphone, contacts and calendar items are most likely associated to your smartphone account, so these will not change.
I am a collaborative student, taking classes at multiple campuses, what changed?
If you are taking classes at more than one of the campuses involved with this project, all of your existing email accounts were consolidated into a single email account. Please note the following details:
- Your FROM email address should be set to your Home Campus. Any email you send will come from your home campus account. Home Campus will be determined based on:
- Campus from which you are seeking a degree
- Campus through which you have financial aid or grants through
- Campus where you have earned the most credits
- Plus many other criteria
- You have a TO email address for each additional campus you are taking classes from. These addresses are tied to a single mailbox, so all email sent to these addresses will end up in one mailbox account.
- For example, if UND is your home campus and you are taking a course from BSC, messages sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com will arrive in one email box.
- If you are taking classes at any of the campuses that are not part of this project (Mayville State University, Minot State University, North Dakota State University, or Valley City State University), you will need to maintain separate email accounts because these campuses have their own email systems.
- You will use NDUS.Identifier@NDUS.edu to log into Outlook Web Access/OWA or to configure your smartphone or tablet.
I am a student who is also employed at UND. What happened to my email accounts?
If your primary role at UND is a student, your work and student email accounts were merged into your @UND.edu account. Your username for your @UND.edu email account changed to NDUS.Identifier@NDUS.edu and your password is the same password that you use for Blackboard and Campus Connection.
If your primary role at UND is faculty/staff, email from your student account was copied into your faculty/staff account. You will receive all of your email to your @UND.edu email account. Your username and password for this account will not change.
I am primarily a faculty/staff member at UND and am not a current student. Why do I now see a bunch of extra mail in my @UND.edu account?
If you previously had an @my.UND.edu student email account, that mail has been copied into your @UND.edu email account. No other changes have been made to your account.
Will students have access to see appointments on faculty/staff calendars?
By default, all calendars in Office 365 are set to “Free/Busy.” Student will be able to see when faculty/staff have a period of time blocked out, but they will not be able to see the meeting title or any of the meeting details, unless the default setting has been changed by the faculty/staff member.
To check your calendar settings:
Can I use Skype for Business to video conference with other students, staff or faculty?
Yes. Skype for Business will allow current students to collaborate with all students, staff, and faculty within the North Dakota University System who are a part of the email consolidation.