- Center for Instructional and Learning Technologies
- Tech Support
- Proctoring Exams
A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
Proctored Exam Information
Access UND's Proctoring Web Portal for Online Semester-Based Courses
Please review the information below on UND’s Proctor Policy, how to prepare for online exams, and how to use UND’s Proctoring web portal.
Investing a few minutes in checking computer and internet compatibility, and understanding how to complete tests will prevent errors in an already stressful situation.
Getting Ready for a Quiz/Exam
- Avoid using wireless internet connections when taking a quiz or exam. Even the strongest wireless connections may have a brief interruption and cause the student to be kicked out of a quiz/exam or cause it to not submit correctly.
- Check the internet browser's compatibility with Blackboard.
- Make sure the testing computer has the latest version of Java.
- Add "online.und.edu" to the browser's list of trusted sites.
- Disable pop-up blockers or add "online.und.edu" to the list of sites allowed to display pop-ups.
Taking a Quiz/Exam
- Click links to quizzes/exams only once unless the instructions state otherwise. Some quiz/exams are set to only allow one attempt and force the user to complete the exam in one setting.
- Do not use your browser's back or refresh button as this may submit your exam.
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page every few minutes to record your answers. Errors stating that some of the questions may be incomplete can happen when the "Save" button next to questions is clicked instead of the one at the bottom of the page.
- Timed assessments will display time at the top of the page. One minute alerts will appear.
- Upon completing the exam, the student must click the "Save and Submit" button at the end of the exam.
Paper Exams Printed from Blackboard
If the exam needs to be printed, follow these steps:
- The first question of the exam will contain a file that needs to be printed. Once the exam has printed successfully, the student may continue the remainder of the exam if there are other questions, or the proctor will click Submit to close the exam.
- The student should log out of Blackboard and take the paper exam. Once the student completes the exam, he/she should notify the proctor of completion.
- The proctor mails the exam in the stamped envelope provided by the student. The instructions may also request the proctor to scan or fax the exam at this time.
- If applicable, the student logs into the Blackboard course again and goes to the Exams folder and selects the Submit Exam File link.
After a Quiz/Exam
- You will receive confirmation or feedback upon completing your assessment.
- View your results in "My Grades" to see either:
- a score for your test,
- an exclamation point meaning the test is submitted but not yet graded by the instructor, or
- a clock meaning the test is still in progress and has not been submitted. You may go back and submit your test or contact your instructor to check it.
Semester-Based Proctor Policy
If you are taking an online course that follows the regular semester (Fall, Spring or Summer), view the information below.
What is a proctor?
Proctors are individuals who agree to supervise examinations and meet the criteria set forth by UND Online & Distance Education. Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations.
Students must first receive permission from an individual before designating him or her as their proctor. Please note that students are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
Who can be a proctor?
Proctors may be:
- UND Online & Distance Education in Grand Forks, ND. There is no fee for UND students.
- Bismarck State College Testing & Assessment Services in Bismarck, ND. There is no fee for UND students.
- ProctorU live online proctoring service. Check your Blackboard course site or contact the instructor to find out if ProctorU is an option for the course.
- School or Public Librarians
- Educational Administrators (principal/superintendent)
- Local College Testing Center Staff
- Adult Learning Centers
- Guidance Counselors
- Commanding Officers
- Military Education Officers or Embassy Education Officers
Proctors may NOT be:
- Human Resources Representative
- Direct Supervisors
- Direct Reports / Employees
- Colleagues at Same Level
- Athletic or Assistant Coaches
- Personal Tutors
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with internet access must be available at the testing site where the exam is proctored. Wireless internet connections are not supported. Web browser and operating system requirements can be found on the Technical Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- Exams must be administered at the proctor's school or place of business; never at the proctor or student's home, unless ProctorU is being used. All exams will be accessed online.
- Proctors must verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver's license) and read all of the exam instructions to the student before he or she begins the exam.
- Proctors must closely monitor the student until he or she is finished with the exam and ensure the student does not leave the room, except for an emergency.
- To access online exam details (including the exam password), the proctor will log in to the UND Proctoring Web Portal. Please do not give the student the password for online exams. The proctor will access the exam online using the password and will be required to verify that he or she is accepting proctor responsibilities.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam, unless otherwise specified. Only paper-copy exams are allowed to be printed; online exams cannot be printed unless specified in the exam instructions.
- Students cannot take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions. Students cannot take notes about the exam or attempt by any other means (e.g., by using a cell-phone camera or other electronic device) to copy any part of the exam. The student or the proctor cannot print or duplicate the exam in any way.
- If the exam is specified as a print exam, proctors must collect all exam documents at the conclusion of the testing period. Some print exams also need to be returned to UND by fax and/or by scanning them to attach in Blackboard; please check the specific exam instructions. Students are required to bring a stamped, addressed envelope for the proctor to mail the exam to UND.
- If the designated proctor is unable to proctor the exam, the student must complete another Proctor Designation Form. Proctors should not give an exam to another person or to the student.
- If the student is suspected of cheating, please contact UND Online & Distance Education as soon as possible at 1.800.CALL.UND (1.800.225.5863).
Self-Paced Enroll Anytime Course Proctor Policy
If you are taking a self-paced enroll anytime course (independent study, nine month course), or are enrolled in a certificate program such as Nutrition & Foodservice Professional Training or Real Estate, visit the Online & Distance Education website.
Semester-Based Proctor Designation Steps
Click on the YouTube icon in the lower right corner of the video to view the video full-screen.
Please note the following:
- Exam password information will not be sent to the proctor until the proctor has accepted the role.
- Proctors will only need to be designated once per course.
- You need to designate a proctor for each course you are enrolled in each semester.
- To change or update a proctor, a student must complete a new Proctor Designation Form.
Steps to Designate a Proctor:
- Read the Proctor Policy for Semester-based, Online Courses to learn who can be a proctor.
- Contact potential proctor to gain verbal approval that the individual is willing to serve as your proctor. Please note that you are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
- Go to the Proctoring Site. Enter your NDUS.Identifier username and password (same as Blackboard and Campus Connection) to log in.
- Once you are logged in, click on Designate a Proctor (Students). You will see a listing of your online courses.
- Click Review the Proctor Policy before designating to read the proctor policy. This must be completed before you designate a proctor.
- Click the Designate option next to a course to designate a new proctor for that course only. If you would like to designate the same proctor for all courses, click the button that says Designate a proctor for all sections.
- The proctor will receive an e-mail notification with steps to follow to accept the role.
- Contact your proctor to schedule an exam appointment.
- As early as ten days prior to exam start date, the proctor should receive an email to access the exam password.
- Check the exam instructions in Blackboard for any specific exam requirements or instructions.
- To take the exam, you must show your drivers license or a government-issued photo ID card to your proctor. You will log into your Blackboard course, and the proctor will then enter the password to access the exam.
Self-Paced Enroll Anytime Course Proctor Designation Steps
Instructions for designating a proctor for a self-paced enroll anytime course can be found on the Online & Distance Education website.
Semester-Based Proctor Steps
Click on the YouTube icon in the lower right corner of the video to view the video full-screen.
Proctors will receive the UND Online Proctor Agreement via email containing a link to confirm the proctor role. For proctors who are not in the system, a page will load for you to claim your account. Your username will be the email address that you received the proctor agreement to. You will be asked to create a new password. Please retain this information for future use as it will be needed to accept designations and to access exam details (including exam passwords). Proceed to the next step to complete the process for accepting the proctor role.
Access Proctoring Application
Once the proctor account has been claimed, log into the UND Proctoring system. You may wish to bookmark this page for easy future use. After logging in, you can choose to either Review Designations or View Exam Details.
Designations are divided by term, so you may see previous or upcoming courses as well as current courses. Under each term, you will see a list of students who have selected you as a proctor for a course. Clicking the envelope icon next to a student's name will allow you to email the student directly. To the right of the course name, you can see the proctoring status: Pending, Accepted, or Declined. You will also see an action area where you must click Accept to officially accept the proctor role. Clicking View will take you to the details for the specific student and course for you to review.
- You will not be able to view exam details until you accept to proctor.
- The student will receive an email confirmation when you accept or decline the proctor role.
- Proctors will only need to be designated once per course each semester.
- To change proctors or update a proctor’s email address, a student must complete a new Proctor Designation Form and the proctor must confirm again.
View Exam Details (Getting Exam Passwords)
- Copy and paste the following web address into your web browser (do not use Internet Explorer or Edge). You may wish to bookmark the following web address as it will be used each time you need to access an exam password: https://apps.und.edu/proctoring/proctors/login
- Enter your proctor username (email address) and your proctor password (created when the account was claimed).
- Click the View Exam Details button and locate the appropriate exam. Click on the exam link to view the exam details including the exam password. If no exams are listed, then it is outside the exam window or the exam information has not been added by the instructor.
PLEASE NOTE: All passwords are CASE SENSITIVE.
Exams should be taken when the student arrives at the appointed time. The student must log into their Blackboard course at http://online.UND.edu in order to access the exam. Exams should not be accessed and/or printed until the testing date/time.
You may use the Export Exam Details button to have an excel file emailed to you. The file contains details for all active exams which list you as a confirmed as proctor.
Do NOT give the student the password for the exam.
If you have forgotten your UND Proctoring password, go to the Proctor Login page and click Forgot Password. Enter your proctoring email address and click Reset Access. You will be sent an email with instructions to reset your password.
Please note the following:
- Exam password information will not be available to the proctor until the proctor has accepted the role.
- Proctors only need to be designated once per course.
- Proctors need to be designated for each course the student is enrolled in each semester.
- To change or update a proctor, a student must designate a new proctor.
Exam/quiz is not available
It is UND Tech Support's policy not to make assessments available or change course settings without instructor approval. Students should contact their instructor with quiz/exam availability questions.
Proctor does not have exam password (semester-based)
- Proctors will log into the UND Proctoring Web Portal and click on Exam Details to access exam information and passwords.
- If the course/exam is not listed under Exam Details, then it may be that the proctor has not yet accepted the proctor role for that course. Within the UND Proctoring Web Portal, the proctor can click on Review Designations to accept any pending requests. Exam passwords will not be given over phone or chat.
- If the proctor has already accepted the role and there are no exams listed under Exam Details, then it may be that the instructor has not yet posted the exam information or it is outside the exam window. Exam Details will only appear within the window of ten days prior to the exam start date and three days after the exam end date.
- If the exam password has not been set up in the proctoring site or if there is a discrepancy in exam dates, UND Tech Support will contact the instructor. No changes will be made without instructor approval.
Student was kicked out of exam or received submission error
- If the exam is proctored and the student is with his/her proctor and the exam has not been submitted, contact UND Tech Support immediately so the student can be let back into the exam. The instructor will be notified of the issue.
- For paper based exams, if the exam submitted before the proctor printed the exam then multiple attempts can be added to allow the proctor to print the exam. Stay with the proctor and contact UND Tech Support immediately.
- For exams where questions are listed within Blackboard, if the exam submitted before completion, UND Tech Support will contact the instructor as to how to proceed. Tech Support will not delete the student attempts or add multiple attempts without instructor permission.
- If the exam is not proctored or the student is no longer with the proctor, the student will need to work with the instructor.
Course is not listed in the proctoring site when designating a proctor
- If your course does not appear in the Course List within the Proctor Designation site, check to see if you are enrolled in the online section of the course. On-campus courses will not appear in the course list.
- Courses will appear in the course list approximately two business days after registering for the course in Campus Connection. If you have recently registered for the course, please allow two business days for the course to appear in the list.