- CILT Home
- About Us
- Teaching & Learning
- Active Learning Strategies
- Consulting & Training
- Course Design
- -- Overview
- -- Online Course Design
- -- Backwards Course Design
- -- Request an ID Consultation
- How do I?
- -- Assess & Evaluate
- -- Communicate & Collaborate
- -- Organize
- -- Present
- -- Create Accessible Content
- Instructional Design Consulting
- -- Teaching with Technology Tips
- -- Educational Resources
- Open Education Resources
- Terms & Definitions
- Tech Support
- Get Help
A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
To log in, enter your NDUS.Identifier and password. Visit the NDUS.Identifier page for username and password questions.
Starfish is a student retention system that is holistic, proven, and measured. It is based on the following philosophy:
- Success is a moving target
- Success entails academic achievement
- Success requires engagement
- Success must be measured
With Starfish, faculty and staff can form closer connections with students, encourage engagement, provide more timely feedback regarding course performance, and provide opportune information on campus resources. Those faculty and staff who meet with students can also set up office hours in Starfish, allowing students to schedule appointments online. Learn more about the Starfish philosophy and benefits.
To learn how Starfish was implemented and is being used at UND, read the Starfish Overview.
Guides & Instructions
Set up your Profile
Begin by setting up your student profile. Your profile lets instructors and advisors know who you are and how to contact you. It also gives you control over how you wish to receive messages from Starfish.
From here, you can customize your profile by uploading a photo and choosing settings for appointment reminders.
2. Once you have made your desired changes to your profile, click the Submit button to save your updates.
Connect to people who can help you
The My Success Network, and Courses channels display the people and offices that are available to help you succeed. Here you can find key contact information as well as links to web sites and online appointment scheduling.
My Success Network
Click the My Success Network icon on your Home page to display your personalized network. This channel lists the people and resources that are available to assist you. (You can browse a broader list of available services in the Service Catalog). For each person or service listed you will find contact information, supporting websites, and, if online scheduling is enabled, a link to make an appointment. If a service includes a waiting room for walk-in appointments, you can click the “Waiting Room” link to find out how many students are currently in line.
Click the Courses icon on your Home page to display information about the courses you are enrolled in, including contact information for your instructors.
Make an Appointment through Starfish
If an individual has made times available for you to schedule through Starfish, you will see a Schedule Appointment link in their contact information.
- Click the Schedule Appointment link below the contact information for the desired person or service in the My Success Network or Courses
- Use the small calendar on the left to quickly identify days with available office hours (available days will be shown in bold). Click the desired date in the small monthly calendar to display availability on that day
- Available time slots on the selected day will include a Sign up Click the Sign Up link associated with the desired time slot.
- This opens the Add Appointment Complete the form by selecting a reason for the meeting (and a course if relevant). Include an explanation of what you need so that your instructor or advisor can be prepared for the meeting.
- Click Submit to set the appointment. You will get an email with the appointment details and the appointment will be listed on your Dashboard.
Change an Appointment
Upcoming appointments will be listed on your Dashboard in the time line view (left column). Click the edit icon (a picture of a pencil) to modify the appointment or the cancel icon (an X) to cancel it. If you do choose to cancel an appointment, please do so as far in advance as possible so the slot can be used by another student.
Stay on track
Use the tools in Starfish to help you keep track of your appointments and alerts from instructors and advisers.
Your Dashboard displays upcoming appointments and date-based tasks on the left to help you plan your week. The right hand column of your Dashboard highlights items that require your attention and may include alerts related to your class work, recommended referrals to campus support offices to help you succeed, and Kudos from your instructors.
Click the Messages icon on your Home page to display messages sent to you in Starfish. Click on any message in the list to display the full contents of that message. These messages were also sent to your UND email and to any alternate address you added to your profile.
The Plans channel will display any customized Plans created for you by your advisor. This might include an Academic Plan or a more targeted plan for a set of specific tasks with due dates. Click the View Details button associated with a plan to display a printable version of the plan.
Certain individuals may be listed in your personal Success Network channel, but other individuals and offices can be found in the broader Services catalog accessed from the top navigation bar. On this page you can search for a service or scroll through the list of available services. For each service you can, view contact information, visit service websites, and schedule online appoints (if available).
Instructors & Advisors
Access to Starfish
You must first request access to Campus Connection. Click here and complete all three steps to request access. Once you have an instructor and/or advisor role in Campus Connection, the same role(s) will be populated into Starfish.
- Getting Started Guide
- Filtering Event Attendance
- Progress Survey Instructions
- Progress Survey Overview and Sample Emails
- Two Minute Tip: How to Create Office Hours
- Two Minute Tip: Update Your Profile
- Two Minute Tip: Appointment Notifications
- Two Minute Tip: Update Your Email Notifications
- Learn about Faculty Features in Starfish (5 minutes)
- 5 things you can do with Starfish Early Alert (5 minutes)
- Two Minute Tip: Respond to a Progress Survey
Access to Starfish
If you are not an advisor or instructor, complete the following steps to request access to Starfish:
- Contact Shari Nelson, Assessment & Systems Administrator, Student Academic Services at 701.777.0562 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the appropriate Starfish role based on your UND role.
- A role in Campus Connection is also necessary to be given access in Starfish. Shari Nelson will follow up with the Registrar's Office to determine if you already have a role in Campus Connection. If you do not, you will be notified to complete the necessary steps to request access. Click here for these instructions. (Select the role of "NDUS Starfish" from the drop-down menu on the ConnectND Access Request Form listed in Step 3.)
- Once access to Campus Connection is completed, your Starfish role will be processed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I can’t see a link to schedule an appointment?
Contact the office or individual directly. The Schedule Appointment link will only be visible for individuals who have set up online appointment scheduling.
When I try to schedule an appointment, I can’t select a reason.
Appointments are only available to students who are in a specific relationship with individuals. If you can’t select a reason, it’s because you are not in the right relationship with the individual for that appointment. In most cases, this will be because the appointment is only available to students who are assigned to that particular academic adviser. In these cases, the appointment should not even be visible to you, and we have reported the bug to Starfish.
What if I don’t see anyone listed in My Success Network?
Your advisor or instructors might not be assigned yet. Check back later or contact your college advising office for additional assistance.
Instructors, Advisors, & Staff
How do I change how I am emailed by Starfish?
Starfish will email you a calendar item for each appointment and a summary of flag activity for your students. Use the Email Notifications tab of your Profile to modify details of how and when you receive these notifications.
How do I get more detail on a student?
Click the hyperlink associated with the student’s name wherever you find it to reach the Student Folder. (E.g. in the student list, on an appointment or in a progress survey).
How do I cancel office hours?
Cancel one occurrence
- Select the day from the calendar, and hover (don’t click) over the icon associated with the Office Hours on the desired day.
- Click the Cancel button and select, “Just this one” from the pop up Office Hours card presented.
- Cancel a series
- From the Agenda view, hover (don’t click) over the Office Hours icon next to an office hour title.
- Select Cancel from the pop up Office Hours card presented. (If the day you have selected on the calendar includes an occurrence, you will have the option to cancel “Just this one” or “The entire series”)
Where can I find information about flags raised on my students?
The Tracking tab within the Students area lists the flags (and kudos) that have been raised on your students. Use the filters provided to filter your list based on your connection to the students. For example you can filter to your role as advisor vs. your role as instructor, or as an instructor to one of your specific course sections. You can also go into the individual Tracking tab of any Student Folder to look at details of flags raised on that student. The details of what you see are based on your relationship to the student(s) and the privileges granted to your role.
Troublehooting & Questions
For the following issues, contact: Shari K. Nelson, Assessment & Systems Administrator, 777-2117, email@example.com
- Technical issues (difficulty signing on)
- Questions about progress surveys
- Adding a student services office/staff into Starfish
- General troubleshooting
- General Starfish questions
For college specific questions such as setting up your Starfish Calendar and documenting student contacts, contact the appropriate individual below:
- Colt Iseminger
- Arts & Sciences
- Karyn Plumm
- Business & Public Administration
- Katie Burns
- Education & Human Development
- Patrick Bugliosi
- Kasey Young
- Engineering & Mines
- Jordan Eberhardt
- Jeremy Malheim
- Medicine & Health Sciences
- Shari Nelson
- Nursing & Professional Disciplines
- Jacob Chaput