- CILT Home
- About Us
- Teaching & Learning
- Active Learning Strategies
- Consulting & Training
- Course Design
- -- Overview
- -- Online Course Design
- -- Backwards Course Design
- -- Request an ID Consultation
- How do I?
- -- Assess & Evaluate
- -- Communicate & Collaborate
- -- Organize
- -- Present
- -- Create Accessible Content
- Instructional Design Consulting
- -- Teaching with Technology Tips
- -- Educational Resources
- Open Education Resources
- Terms & Definitions
- Tech Support
- Get Help
A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
TurningPoint Response Systems
Audience response systems (clickers) allow students in the classroom to instantly provide feedback, answer questions, and vote. TurningPoint is the standard adopted by the University of North Dakota.
Students may respond by using a "clicker" (a handheld device that allows them to vote or make a selection by pressing a button), or by setting up TurningPoint mobile on a web-enabled device such as a cell phone, laptop or mobile device. For courses that are using TurningPoint, students must create an account and purchase a TurningPoint license code. The license code is required regardless of which device is used.
Using a clicker or audience response system can significantly change classroom interaction by enabling instructors to assess students' knowledge, keep their attention, provide immediate feedback, and encourage all students to participate.
You must have a subscription to participate and receive credit for your responses.
1. Log into Blackboard and select your course.
2. Select Tools from the left-side navigation.
3. On the Tools page, select TurningPoint Registration.
4. Enter your @UND.edu email in the area provided.
5. Click Create Account.
6. Check your email and click the verification link.
7. Enter all required fields as noted by the asterisks.
8. Click Finish.
9. The student set-up wizard will open. Click Get Started.
10. If you have a subscription code, enter it in the field provided and click Redeem. Redeem additional subscription codes if applicable.
11. Click Continue.
12. If you have a clicker, enter the Clicker ID in the field provided and click Add. Add additional clickers is applicable.
13. Click Continue.
14. Click Finish. Your profile is displayed.
Purchase Clickers or License Code
TurningPoint mobile allows students to use a web-enabled device, such as a cell phone, laptop or mobile device. Please check with your instructor or refer to the course syllabus to determine whether or not this option is allowed.
TurningPoint mobile is free and available for Android and iOS devices. While the app is free, a purchased license code is required. See above for information on how to purchase a license code.
1. Review the Start-of-Semester Instructor Checklist
2. Make sure a receiver is installed in the classroom that will be used. To check if a receiver is installed or to request that one be installed, contact CILT Classroom Services at 701.777.6325.
3. Go to Turning Technologies and create an account using your @UND.edu email address.
4. Contact the UND Bookstore to let them know you will be using ResponseCards (Clickers) in your course, and let them know how many students are registered. Advise students to purchase a ResponseCard or to obtain the TurningPoint mobile program on a web-enabled device, if you wish to use that feature. Students will also need to purchase a license code to use with the ResponseCard or TurningPoint mobile.
Register a Turning Technologies Account through Blackboard.
Log into the Blackboard course you will use TurningPoint with.
Click Tools from the left menu.
Click Turning Technologies Registration Link.
Enter your school or organization email address and click Create.
Check your email and click the link to verify your Turning Technologies Account.
Enter all required fields as noted by the asterisks.
Enter and confirm your password in the fields provided.
Click Finish again.
Adding a Course from Blackboard
Sign into your Turning Technologies account. The TurningPoint Web dashboard will display.
Under Available Courses, click Connect on each course you want to sync to TurningPoint. The courses will move to Current Courses.
Through the Blackboard integration with Turning Technologies Account you can email participants to remind that they need to create an account, register a license or a device.
Sign in to your Turning Technologies Account. The TurningPoint Web instructor dashboard will display.
Locate the Course you wish to email students.
Click Email Students in the upper right hand corner.
- Select desired option(s).
- Click Send.
Updating Courses from TurningPoint Web
- Log into your Turning Technologies account. The TurningPoint Web instructor dashboard displays.
- Locate the Course to update.
- Click View.
- Click Update Course in the right hand corner.
- Launch TurningPoint.
Using a Downloaded Course
A course list from Turning Technologies Account can be loaded into TurningPoint Desktop to track participant results.
- Open TurningPoint 8 and sign into your account.
- From the Polling tab, select the course and the polling environment.
- Run and save the session.
- Close the polling environment to return to the Desktop Dashboard.
Uploading Grades to Blackboard Sync
Grades can be uploaded to Blackboard directly from the course within the Manage tab.
- Open the TurningPoint 8 and sign into your account.
- Select the Manage tab.
- Select the course.
- Click Upload Grades.
- Select the grade columns you want to upload and select Upload.
If using PowerPoint Polling, the software will look like PowerPoint with the addition of a PowerPoint Cloud ribbon. This help guide provides details for setting up PowerPoint polling.
Training and Tutorials
Known Issues and Troubleshooting Tips
- Most rooms are set to use channel 41 by default. If you feel there is interference because a nearby classroom is using the same channel, contact Classroom Services using the phone on the podium or by calling 777.6325.
- After the participant list has been loaded for a course, use the update feature to pull newly added/dropped students and ResponseCard/TurningPoint mobile information instead of loading it again. The update option can be found in the Integrations section.
- There is a known issue where TurningPoint and Adobe Presenter do not work when installed on the same machine. If you wish to use Adobe Presenter on your computer to create presentations, TurningPoint needs to be uninstalled, and vice versa.
- It is recommended to use 32-bit Microsoft Office with TurningPoint Clickers. The 64-bit Microsoft Office can potentially cause issues with TurningPoint mobile working properly. If you need help with installing 32-bit Microsoft Office, please contact UND Tech Support.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between ResponseCards and TurningPoint mobile?
Response cards are frequently referred to as "clickers". They are hand-held devices that need to be purchased.
TurningPoint mobile is an app that can be installed on a device so that respondents can use a mobile device or laptop to respond instead of a ResponseCard.
What is the cost for ResponseCards or TurningPoint mobile?
ResponseCards (clickers) can be purchased from the UND Bookstore or the TurningTechnologies website. Check for updated pricing.
ResponseWare is a free app.
A TurningPoint Cloud license code is required to use both ResponseCards and the TurningPoint mobile app.
Do all UND Classrooms have a receiver and work with TurningPoint Response Systems?
TurningPoint receivers are available upon request. Contact Classroom Services at 701.777.6325 to see if the room you are teaching in is set up for TurningPoint or to request a receiver.
Tips & Tricks
Start of Semester Instructor Checklist
The start of classes is almost here! Follow this simple checklist to make sure that you’re ready to use TurningPoint on day one.
End of Semester Best Practices
We're here to help you end the semester flawlessly. Explore answers to frequently asked questions from users like you to effectively wrap up your semester with TurningPoint.
Turning Technologies Technical Support
Monday - Friday 8am - 9pm EST