- CILT Home
- About Us
- Teaching & Learning
- Active Learning Strategies
- Consulting & Training
- Course Design
- -- Overview
- -- Online Course Design
- -- Backwards Course Design
- -- Request an ID Consultation
- How do I?
- -- Assess & Evaluate
- -- Communicate & Collaborate
- -- Organize
- -- Present
- -- Create Accessible Content
- Instructional Design Consulting
- -- Teaching with Technology Tips
- -- Educational Resources
- Open Education Resources
- Terms & Definitions
- Tech Support
- Get Help
A-Z Change/Forgot Password Current Students Faculty/Staff Guests and Affiliates Preceptors and Proctors Prospective Students
TurningPoint Response Systems
Audience response systems (clickers) allow students in the classroom to instantly provide feedback, answer questions, and vote. TurningPoint is the standard adopted by the University of North Dakota.
Students may respond by using a "clicker" (a handheld device that allows them to vote or make a selection by pressing a button), or by setting up ResponseWare on a web-enabled device such as a cell phone, laptop or mobile device. For courses that are using TurningPoint, students must create an account and purchase a TurningPoint license code. The license code is required regardless of which device is used.
Using a clicker or audience response system can significantly change classroom interaction by enabling instructors to assess students' knowledge, keep their attention, provide immediate feedback, and encourage all students to participate.
Create an Account
This document walks through the steps for creating an account.
Purchase Clickers or License Code
Using Mobile Devices
The ResponseWare app allows students to use a web-enabled device, such as a cell phone, laptop or mobile device. Please check with your instructor or refer to the course syllabus to determine whether or not this option is allowed.
The ResponseWare App is free and available for Android and iOS devices. While the app is free, a purchased license code is required. See above for information on how to purchase a license code.
Verify Registration in Blackboard
Follow these steps to link your TurningPoint Cloud Account to Blackboard.
Visit the Turning Technologies website for current product user guides which include Response devices (clickers) and ResponseWare for both Andriod and iOS devices.
TurningPoint 5 has come to end of life and has been upgraded to TurningPoint Cloud.
- Review the Start-of-Semester Instructor Checklist
- Make sure a receiver is installed in the classroom that will be used. To check if a receiver is installed or to request that one be installed, contact CILT Classroom Services at 701.777.6325.
- Go to Turning Technologies and create an account using your @UND.edu email address.
- Log in to your account and select Downloads to download TurningPoint Cloud.
- Once installed, open the TurningPoint Cloud software. From the dashboard select PowerPoint Polling, Anywhere Polling or Self-paced Polling.
- If using PowerPoint Polling, the software will look like PowerPoint with the addition of a PowerPoint Cloud ribbon. This help guide provides details for setting up PowerPoint polling.
- A session ID will need to be created if students will be allowed to use web-enabled devices such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Within the PowerPoint ribbon, select ResponseWare and choose Start Session. This session ID will need to be shared with your students to use for the current session. The Session ID can be reserved if you wish to use the same ID for the future sessions.
- Contact the UND Bookstore to let them know you will be using ResponseCards (Clickers) in your course, and let them know how many students are registered. Advise students to purchase a ResponseCard or to obtain the ResponseWare program on a web-enabled device, if you wish to use that feature. Students will also need to purchase a license code to use with the ResponseCard or ResponseWare.
Training and Tutorials
- Ask Meaningful Questions - Learn how to engage students by asking the right type of questions.
- PowerPoint Polling - Learn how to get started with PowerPoint polling
- Video: Using TurningPoint sessions and uploading to Blackboard
Known Issues and Troubleshooting Tips
- Most rooms are set to use channel 41 by default. If you feel there is interference because a nearby classroom is using the same channel, contact Classroom Services using the phone on the podium or by calling 777.6325.
- After the participant list has been loaded for a course, use the update feature to pull newly added/dropped students and ResponseCard/ResponseWare information instead of loading it again. The update option can be found in the Integrations section.
- The following information should be used for integration:
- Server address: https://onlineUND.edu
- Login information: NDUS.Identifier and password. | Password Help
- There is a known issue where TurningPoint and Adobe Presenter do not work when installed on the same machine. If you wish to use Adobe Presenter on your computer to create presentations, TurningPoint needs to be uninstalled, and vice versa.
- It is recommended to use 32-bit Microsoft Office with TurningPoint Clickers. The 64-bit Microsoft Office can potentially cause issues with the ResponseWare working properly. If you need help with installing 32-bit Microsoft Office, please contact UND Tech Support.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between ResponseCards and ResponseWare?
Response cards are frequently referred to as "clickers". They are hand-held devices that need to be purchased.
ResponseWare is an app that can be installed on a device so that respondents can use a mobile device or laptop to respond instead of a ResponseCard.
What is the cost for ResponseCards or ResponseWare?
ResponseCards (clickers) can be purchased from the UND Bookstore or the TurningTechnologies website. Check for updated pricing.
ResponseWare is a free app.
A TurningPoint Cloud license code is required to use both ResponseCards and ResponseWare.
Do all UND Classrooms have a receiver and work with TurningPoint Response Systems?
TurningPoint receivers are available upon request. Contact Classroom Services at 701.777.6325 to see if the room you are teaching in is set up for TurningPoint or to request a receiver.
What is the server information used during integration?
- Server address: https://online.UND.edu
- Login information: NDUS.Identifier and password. | Password Help
Tips & Tricks
Start of Semester Instructor Checklist
The start of classes is almost here! Follow this simple checklist to make sure that you’re ready to use TurningPoint on day one.
End of Semester Best Practices
We're here to help you end the semester flawlessly. Explore answers to frequently asked questions from users like you to effectively wrap up your semester with TurningPoint.