- Course Validation
- Course Revalidation
- Course Development
- Assessment Concepts
- Assessment Rubrics
- Student Petitions
- History of ES
Essential Studies (ES) Requirements
The total number of ES semester credits must equal at least 39 (36 credits plus a three credit upper division ES capstone). ES capstones are required of all students, including transfer students.
Courses meeting the ES requirements are designated as such (A, Q, G, U, O) in the course listings.
Your Essential Studies Program will include three components:
I. Special Emphasis Requirements
12 semester credits minimum
Students must complete at least three credit hours in each of the following special emphasis areas:
- Advanced Communication (A)
- Quantitative Reasoning (Q)
- Global Diversity (G)
- United States Diversity (U)
- Oral Communication (O)
Students may choose courses that meet both a Special Emphasis and a Breadth of Knowledge or a requirement in their major at the same time.
NOTE: Credits earned through Challenge Exams, Special Examinations for Credit and Foreign Language placement and credit exams cannot be used to fulfill any special emphasis requirement.
II. Breadth of Knowledge Requirements
Nine semester credits minimum in each category
- Students must take Engl. 110; Engl. 120 or Engl. 125; and 3 credits of oral communication (O).
- Social Sciences must be taken in a minimum of two departments.
- Fine Arts and Humanities must be taken in a minimum of two departments and take a minimum of three credits in Fine Arts and three credits in Humanities.
- Mathematics, Science and Technology must be taken in a minimum of two departments and must include a four-hour science course with the associated lab.
III. Capstone Requirement (C)
Three semester credits minimum
ES Capstone courses are taken at the end of a student’s undergraduate program and must be completed at the University of North Dakota. Some departments may offer an ES Capstone which is required for your program. Other ES Capstones are open to students from all majors. Check with your department to find out which capstones your department recommends or requires.
If you are a transfer student who has completed the general education requirements at a NDUS, MnSCU, or Washington State Institution, you will only need to complete the Essential Studies capstone requirement at UND. You will have met all of the other UND Essential Studies requirements. If you are a transfer student from any other institution you are required to meet all of the Essential Studies requirements listed above. Please go to the transfer student website to view articulation agreements for transfer work.