Tips on Hiring a Conference or Event Planner
A lot of people claim they are a good cook. But what does that really mean? Can they make a mean macaroni salad or can they make a 12 course Italian dinner for 100 guests? There's a difference between a good cook and a professional gourmet chef.
Just the same, there are no shortages of those claiming to be event planners, meeting management agencies, or conference coordinators. So how do you know if you are getting a good cook or a professional gourmet chef?
Here Are a Few Tips to Follow:
- What knowledge does the conference or event planner bring to the table? Is there a team of experts working for you or is there one person who is the "jack of all trades"? Although the head conference or event planner should have a wide breadth of skills...from marketing to budgeting to setting up audio-visual equipment, no one person can do it all well. Look for a company that has a team of experts working for you.
- Ask the head conference or event planner why he or she chose event planning for a career. Look for someone who thrives on being organized, taking care of details for other people, and works well under pressure.
- Do the planners ask you the questions that really matter? Are they interested in your organization and what you hope to achieve by having the event?
- Do you feel important to them? How timely were they in providing you the information you requested? If you didn't get the information within the timeline you agreed upon, that might be a sign of what it will be like to work with them in the future.
- Do they customize their services to suit your particular needs? Can you choose which services you want to handle on your own or do the services come as a "one-size-fits-all package"?
Contact us to discover how UND Conference Services is the right choice for you!