- Accessing Your Course
- Can I Withdraw?
- Certificate of Completion
- Change of Address/Email
- Grades & Transcripts
- Preceptor Information
Leave this field empty
Receive Email Updates
How Independent Study Works
Independent Study Courses – Anytime, Anywhere Learning
With UND's Nutrition & Foodservice Professional Training Program offered in an independent study format, you can study to be a Certified Dietary Manager, Certified Food Protection Professional (CDM, CFPP) without leaving your job or sacrificing time with family.
With independent study courses, you can:
- enroll anytime
- take up to 12 months to complete your course
- learn at your own pace
- complete lessons on your own schedule
- pick your preferred time and place for studying
You can work at your own pace from the comfort of your own home. And the best part... You don't have to wait to get started!
Two Formats to Choose From:
If you take an online course, you and your preceptor (supervisor/mentor) should feel comfortable with online learning and technology and have access to the appropriate equipment.
*Note: The online format requires all assignments be submitted as Microsoft Word documents.
Before enrolling in an online course, ask yourself if both you and your preceptor(s) can:
- access computers that meet the minimum technical requirements, as you and your preceptor will receive all of your information online
- send, receive and attach documents to an email
- navigate computer screens and the Internet easily
- create, save, retrieve and browse for computer files
- download media players, software plug-ins and other free software available on the Internet
Depending on your course, additional computer skills may be required.
Correspondence by Mail
If you and your preceptor do not have access to or feel comfortable with computer technology, then the correspondence by mail format is the best option for you.
With correspondence by mail courses, you will receive all course materials (including three student manuals plus one preceptor's manual - mailed to your preceptor) through the U.S. Postal Services. Once you complete your lessons, you will use postal services to mail your lessons to your instructor. Once the instructor has graded the lesson, it is returned to UND Online & Distance Education for recording, and then it is mailed back to you (generally a 2-week process). Practice quizzes and required exams are only offered online. Students taking the course by mail must provide an email address and have access to a computer for the three proctored exams.