Who Should Apply?
If you are seeking a career in psychiatric and mental health nursing, the online Psychiatric & Mental Health Nursing Track is designed for you.
The online master's degree program is designed for nurses with bachelor's degrees in nursing who are unable to attend traditional, on-campus classes.
You may attend on a full- or part-time basis. Keep in mind that the clinical portion of the program equals full-time study.
You also will be required to come to the UND campus in Grand Forks, ND, for two 1 week visits during the program.
UND may not be able to accommodate clinical experiences in some states due to specific state board of nursing regulations. Please contact the UND College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines for guidance on this issue.
After successful completion of your program, you will have completed at least 540 hours of clinical nursing and be eligible to complete the national American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification examination for Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
Upon certification, you may obtain prescriptive privileges depending on the regulations of your state.
If you already have your master's degree in nursing, you may pursue your PMH-NP certification with the online Post-Master's Certificate program.
Admission Requirements: Master of Science - PMH Nursing Track
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing from a National League for Nursing (NLN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited program.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) for the last 2 years of your undergraduate program.**
- Completion of a statistics course (graduate or undergraduate level).**
- Current RN licensure in the United States.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as an RN (preferred).**
- Professional résumé.
- Completion of a successful interview.
- Satisfactorily complete a background check prior to admission.
- Meet current health and immunization requirements of the UND College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines prior to clinical coursework.
**If you do not meet these nursing program admission standards, you may be admitted on a provisional basis with continued enrollment contingent on successful completion of prerequisite coursework and/or successful performance in the program.
For detailed information on admission requirements and the application process, please refer to the UND School of Graduate Studies.
Military Personnel & Veterans
Our University is proud to serve those who serve our country. Through UND Online & Distance Education, you can take advantage of convenient programs and services that fit your life as a military service member, veteran or family member. Learn more.
- January 15