- Changing Status
- Drivers License
- Health Insurance & Services
- Leave of Absence
- Letters and Forms
- Maintaining Status
- Program Extensions
- Replacing I-20/DS-2019
- SEVIS Registration
- Social Security
- Transferring Schools
- Travel Status
Extending your stay at UND requires completing the appropriate program extensions.
The program end date listed on your form I-20 is the last day you are eligible to pursue your program of study. This date is determined by the university estimate of how long your particular program should take.
Programs may be extended for legitimate academic or medical reasons. Please note that in USCIS does not consider thesis/dissertation completion to be a sufficient reason for program extension. In order to qualify for a program extension, the nature of your work must require your physical presence in the United States. Students who could complete their work from outside the United States are not eligible for an extension. You must file for an extension with the International Student Advisor at least one week before your program end date. If you allow your I-20 to expire even by one day it cannot be renewed. You will lose your legal status in the United States and must apply for reinstatement.
Students who wish to extend their program for more than one semester MUST show proof of additional funding.
To apply for an extension, you will need to complete a Request for Extension of Program form with your academic advisor and submit that to the International Student Advisor. You will also need to provide current financial support documentation. Please allow 2-5 business days for the International Center to process your request.
The program end date listed on your form DS-2019 is the last day you are eligible to pursue your program of study. This date is determined by the university estimate of how long your particular program should take or by the agreed upon length of your exchange program.
Programs may be extended within the maximum duration of program participation for legitimate academic or medical reasons. You must file for an extension with the International Student Advisor before the end date listed on your form DS-2019.
Degree Seeking Students
- Obtain a form to request program extension from your International Student Advisor. Complete the form with your academic advisor and submit that to the International Student Advisor.
- Submit current financial support documentation to the International Advisor. Please allow 2-5 business days for the International Center to process your request.
- You will need to provide evidence from your home institution and from your UND sponsor confirming an extension of the exchange program. Please allow 2-5 business days for the International Center to process your request.
- Non-Degree students may remain in the U.S. in J-1 status for a maximum of 24 months. This includes any periods of Academic Training. Extensions beyond this period are not allowed.
M-1 students are granted one year at a time to study in the U.S., with the possibility of staying for a maximum of three years. If your program at UND is longer than 12 months, one of the International Student Advisors will assist you in applying for a program extension prior to the end date on your I-20.