What financial aid is available for study abroad?
Everyone is eligible for some kind of financial aid
What types of aid are available?
Employment (only possible on some programs, such as Semester at Sea)
- Federal Work-Study (must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours)
- Institutional Student Employment
- Cooperative Education
Grants (Must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours)
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal SEOG
Grants (must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours)
- Federal ACG & SMART Grants
- North Dakota State Grant (must be a ND resident)
- Please see scholarship page for more information
- Federal (Must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours )
- Alternative Education Loans
To apply, contact the lender of your choice or go to ( Financial Aid website > Student Loans > Other Student Loan Options for further assistance )
What applications must be completed?
- FAFSA- Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Go to FAFSA website
Required for Fall, Spring and Summer financial aid
- Summer session requires an additional application, available after April 1 each year at Financial Aid website
- PLUS, Alternative loans, and scholarships require additional application forms
What do I have to do to get the cost of studying abroad to be considered for financial aid?
Information on the costs associated with your chosen study abroad program should be sent to the Student Financial Aid Office, these costs will be added to your financial aid budget.
For example, the cost of study abroad usually includes items such as round trip airfare, program fees, visa costs etc, these are not included in a session budget for a full-time student studying on campus, so they need to be added in to your budget for your semester abroad.
What should I bring to a meeting with a Financial Aid Advisor?
- Student budget worksheet
- Study Abroad Cost Sheet
- Copy of Memorandum of Understanding (to be sent by Education Abroad Advisor once your study abroad application has been submitted to the Study Abroad office)
- Budget Appeal (if applicable, available from the Financial Aid office)
- Completed Petition for Off-Campus Credit Form (if enrolled in UNIV 228, please request this form be sent from Study Abroad office 48 hours in advance of your meeting)
For more information please contact Student Financial Aid at 701-777-3121.