We greatly appreciate faculty efforts to promote the Writing Center. In fact, most students who use the Writing Center heard about it from an instructor. Your students will be more likely to take advantage of the resource if you adopt some or all of the following practices:
- Encourage all of your students to use the Writing Center and use positive language to talk about it. Explain that all writers benefit from talking about their writing projects and getting feedback on drafts.
- Include information about the Writing Center on your syllabus.
- Tell students about the Writing Center well in advance of the assignment due date. Remind students that they will need to make an appointment on the Writing Center website.
- Invite a writing consultant to visit your class. During a 10-15 minute class visit, the writing consultant will explain the basics of using the Writing Center, answer your students' questions, and provide brochures with all the information the students need to make an appointment and come prepared.
- Send the Writing Center coordinator a copy of your assignment and tell your students you have done so.
- Contact the Writing Center coordinator about making a Writing Center visit part of your assignment requirements. If we plan together in advance, we can make required visits a smooth and productive experience for your students.
For questions or for more information about how we can collaborate, contact: