Deployed Military FAQs
If you get activated and have to change your enrollment status, the following topics should help you understand the implications or options you have for your status at UND.
As a reminder, if you are called to activate military duty, please contact Carol Anson, UND's VA Certifying Official (contact information on right). You also need to fax a copy of your orders to her attention.
If you are not on active military service at the beginning of an academic term and are called or ordered to active military service for 14 consecutive days or longer during the term, you shall have the right, at your option:
- To withdraw from any or all classes in which you are enrolled, even if after the established deadline for withdrawal, and be entitled, subject to applicable laws or regulations governing federal or state financial aid programs and allocation or refund as required under those programs, to a full refund of tuition and mandatory fees. You shall not receive credit or a grade for classes from which you withdraw. If you are in good standing at the time of exercising this right, you shall have the right to be re-admitted and re-enroll, without penalty or re-determination of admission eligibility, within one year following release from active military service:
- To request an incomplete under the institution’s incomplete policy; or
- Except for science labs, internships and other classes for which attendance or in-person participation is an essential part continue and complete the course for full credit if, in the opinion of the faculty member teaching the class, the student has completed sufficient work and has demonstrated sufficient progress toward meeting course requirements to justify the award of credit and grade. Upon a student’s request and at the discretion of the faculty member, this option may be made available for a science lab or internship.
Students who do not officially withdraw from the University do not receive refunds of tuition/fees and do receive grades of “F” in all of their classes.
To begin the withdrawal process, please contact Carol Anson (contact information on right).
You need to complete the online withdrawal form.
If you only want to drop some courses and not all, you can drop them on your Connect ND account online, but still need a copy of your orders faxed to the Registrar’s Office (701-777-2696) and Student Account Services (701-777-6300) to ensure an accurate refund for tuiton and fees, depending on enrollment status once adjusted.
Financial Aid -Any tuition or Housing refund will first go to pay back financial aid you may have received. You will then receive any remaining monies.
- Possible Additional Repayment of Financial Aid – would be determined based on the day in which you withdraw.
- Impact on Satisfactory Progress – classes withdrawn from will not be counted towards satisfactory progress calculations for financial aid purposes.
- Loans from Lending Institutions – you will need to fill out a deferment form, which will release you from the requirement to begin repaying this type loan within six months of withdrawing from school. You or a close family member should contact your lender to initiate this paperwork.
Refunds for student housing will be pro-rated. You will be charged for the actual number of days you are in housing. Students who want to return to either the residence halls or apartments will retain their priority for future assignment provided they request to do so upon departing from housing.
Family/Single Student Apartment Housing
- Your family may stay in their current housing through the end of the academic year.
- Extensions will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- If you and your family will be leaving family housing, you must schedule a check-out appointment with the Housing Office (777-4251).
- For that apartment student residents wishing to retain their priority, we will keep their deposit on file; for those not returning to apartment housing, their deposits will be refunded. Please contact the Housing Office in order to complete this process.
- If time permits, please schedule an appointment with the Associate Director of Housing at 777-4251, to rescind your contract.
- Prior to leaving you must check out of your residence hall room with a hall staff member.
- Students with refrigerator, or linen contracts will have those amounts pro-rated for the actual number of days used. Refrigerators are to be returned to Complex Service Centers. Lofts may be returned to Collegiate Services (contact Mark Grosz at 777-1542). Students will receive a prorated refund from Collegiate Services.
Admissions fee: this $35.00 fee is non-refundable; however, you will not be required to pay it again upon your return.
Books: 100% refund
Parking: A refund pro rata basis of parking fees and other optional fees.
How will I get my credit balance?
You can check the account balance on your Connect ND account. Any refund will be sent via your pride card and bank account that you selected for your direct deposit.
What if I am activated well into the semester? Will I still have to withdraw and basically lose the entire semester?
We recommend you meet with each of your instructors and discuss the options of either taking a grade for the course based on your work to that point, if the instructor feels you have completed enough of the course to grant a grade at that time or taking an incomplete and finishing the coursework upon your return, or withdrawing from the course(s).
How can I get my FAFSA in for the current school year and still meet the Financial Aid Office deadlines?
Financial Aid is willing to extend deadlines for financial aid applications for students in this situation; however, once the money is allotted, there may be no funds available. We recommend you set up a power of attorney so someone else can fill out the packet and submit it for you no later than March 15.
What is my status for financial aid?
Since each case can be different, you need to check with the Financial Aid Office.
How can I register for classes if I'm not here during pre-registration?
You can use online registration. If you are unable to register or just having problems trying to register early you can e-mail Carol Anson, at the Veteran Services office (contact information on the right), just let her know what classes you want to register for, and she will be more than happy to register for you.
What about my VA Benefits?
The Veteran Services Office will submit a VA form 22-1999b, Change of student status, effective the date of your withdrawal or last date of school attendance. The VA will then stop your benefits effective that date.
Please fax a copy of your current orders to Veteran Services at 701-777-2040. A copy or your orders will be sent to the VA to verify your activation. When you return, please drop off a copy of your (DD-214) Discharge papers.
What about my employment on campus?
The University will make every effort to see that you are returned to a comparable, if not the same position if you are a student employee. If you are in a permanent position whether full or part-time, you can come back to the same job if it is open or a comparable position.
What about returning to continue my education at UND?
Please see Return from Active Duty (LINK)
UND Veterans & Military Services
314 D Memorial Union
2901 University Ave. Stop 7115
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7115
Fax: 701.777.1277, Attn: Carol Anson