Does your student need help with career goals?
Now that your son or daughter has made the decision to attend UND, there are many opportunities and tools available to help him/her reach future career goals. Not sure where to start? No problem! UND students can benefit from a variety of services provided by UND Career Services to guide them every step of the way.
Career Services professionals are considered career educators/coaches, so it's common for them to talk with students who are undeclared (or are changing majors), and offer techniques that will assist them in selecting majors. These include:
- a 1-credit part-term class called Career Exploration Counseling 101, which allows undeclared students to delve into their personal value systems, and determine what career choices would be a good match. The class encourages students to think about the type of work environment and work culture they would best thrive in.
- an online assessment tool called "Career Liftoff" which helps define what some of their strongest interests are, and how those interests align with professionals who have similar interests.
They also conduct presentations to classes, student organizations, and will meet one-on-one with students (either scheduled or on a "walk-in" basis).
Balancing a job while students attend college can be an excellent way for them to earn money, learn time management skills, and develop their professional skills. Student Employment has opportunities for students interested in part-time employment options in:
- Work Study
- Off Campus Positions
Upper-level students seeking internships and co-op experiences can use Career Services to help them search, apply and interview for such positions, thus increasing their chances for a successful career search upon graduation.
Each spring and fall semester Career Services sponsors a Career Fair which is targeted to students from all fields of study. The fairs are an excellent opportunity for employers to provide information about their companies, and to interview students or discuss current and/or future career-related employment and internship/co-op opportunities.
The Spring Career Fair scheduled this month will include more than 120 companies such as American Eagle Airlines, Cargill, Menards, and U.S. Bank. Learn more.
Land the Job!
When students are ready to find their first jobs after college, Career Services is here to help with:
- Résumé and cover letter review
- Interview and networking tips
- Practice interviewing
- Suggestions on how to apply to graduate and professional schools
- Tips on professional dress and proper dining etiquette
- Assistance with conducting a job search
- Help in setting up a LinkedIn account
- And the list goes on!
If your student needs help with career goals, more information, or has any questions, call 701.777.3904 or visit UND Career Services.