AAO Mission & Services ADA Information Annual Security Report Diversity at UND FERPA Forms Harassment, Discrimination and Retaliation Harassment Training Info Hiring & Recruiting Info Job Openings/Employment Policies & General Info Religious Interfaith Calendar
Personal Care Assistants: Business Travel
(Adapted from the Job Accommodation Network (JAN),
a service of the Office of Disability Employment Policy, U.S. Department of Labor)
1. Personal care-related assistance for an employee with a disability may be required for University employees that are required to travel away from the worksite.
2. The cost of travel, related travel expenses, and personal care for travel may be assessed to the University.
3. The University employee may not require personal care-related assistance while at his/her normal worksite, but travel away from the worksite for business purposes my pose additional costs to the employee because of personal needs in daily living; tasks of managing or lifting luggage and work-related materials; assistance in navigating in an unknown environment; or other job-related activities.
4. The University employee is to have his/her request for accommodation documentation on file with the Affirmative Action Office that she/he is a person with a disability and that a personal care-related assistance is necessary for travel purposes. This documentation may be reviewed periodically to insure that the appropriate accommodation for travel is available.
5. The personal care-related assistant may be a family member, spouse, co-worker, friend, or a paid attendant.
6. Because of the needs of each university employee will vary, the accommodation for travel purposes will be handled on a case-by-case basis.