Postdoctoral and Research Assistants/Associate Fellows
Postdoctoral fellows are special appointments. The Principal Investigator is responsible for the hiring process of postdocs on their grants and contracts. Note: you must hire via a competitive process; persons can not be named in a grant. All equal opportunity procedures apply to these positions.
Research Assistants/Associates are considered staff appointees. Recruitment goes through UND Human Resources using the Staff Position Requisition and must include an ad. The ad placement is five days internal and fifteen days external (possibly done concurrently) at locations that you designate.
The paperwork to appoint postdoctoral fellows will be processed and routed as outlined in the Request to Recruit and Request to Appoint Procedures. Minimal recruiting time is thirty days unless an exemption is granted by the Affirmative Action Office. The documentation to accompany the Request to Recruit shall provide:
- Position Description
- Description of the essential job functions
- Recruitment sources to be used such as appropriate professional publications, listservs, contacts with doctoral programs, and any other sources that would provide qualified applicants.
- Copy of advertisement will be reviewed by the AAO for language and content. Ads must carry a statement that UND is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The Affirmative Action office will also post the position on UND's Human Resources website - who then, will post the position on JobsHQ at no charge to you. Note: For positions that may result in a foreign national being hired, the Affirmative Action Office (AAO) strongly recommends posting the recruitment information on North Dakota Job Service's website. Posting with Job Service assists with the alien employment certification process and with the University's obligations under the U.S. Military Veteran's Federal Contractor Job Listing Program. Attach the completed form to the Request to Recruit and the AAO will submit the information to Job Service after final approval. North Dakota Job Service Posting Form link. The VP/Provost's office requires their departments to post.
NOTE: Please ensure that all applicants are supplied with the link to complete the Applicant Control Card online. http://und.edu/affirmative-action/apcontrolcard.cfm
When a candidate has been selected, the following information must accompany the Request to Appoint
- Recruiting sources
- List of all individuals who applied
- Names of all candidates that were interviewed; either by telephone or in person
- The evaluation forms or rating sheets used to evaluate each of the applicants against the criteria
- Reasons for selection and non-selection for all applicants. Note: you cannot compare applicants to other applicants. Each person must be evaluated according to the position description requirements.
- Identification by race and gender of selected applicant (if known).
These appointments are normally for one year and a new contract may be extended and offered based on adequate documented performance. The postdoc may not transfer to other UND employment without being hired through the usual competitive recruitment/selection process.
When hiring foreign nationals, please refer to the procedures on the International Programs webpage: Employment Eligibility for International Scholars.