Time Out Week
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 All Day
UND will celebrate American Indian culture and heritage during the annual Time Out Week April 16-20 and the Wacipi (WAH CHEE PEE) Powwow the weekend of April 20-22.
Time Out Week at UND features speakers discussing the American Indian culture and providing information on what the powwow means to Native Americans. The Wacipi Powwow – a weekend of song and dance – will be held at the Hyslop Sports Center. It includes an annual basketball tournament in which teams compete for prizes.
The Wacipi Powwow draws a crowd representing tribes from all across the United States and Canada. It provides UND’s American Indian students – the majority of whom are from North Dakota – with the opportunity to openly and respectfully express and share their cultures. It also helps make diversity and the expression of culture a valued attribute at the University and throughout the state.
Time Out Week and the Wacipi provide the Greater Grand Forks community with a unique opportunity to participate in the culturally rich and highly informative events featuring the music, dance and the colorful dance regalia of the indigenous tribes of the state and region. This event is open to the public, and is free for all UND students, children younger than five and senior citizens.
The UND Indian Association (UNDIA), which sponsors Time Out week, has been in existence since 1966. The organization created this annual event because its members saw a community need for a greater understanding about their regional culture, as well as traditional and contemporary cultures. UNDIA students encouraged the campus and Greater Grand Forks community to take “Time Out” for one week each year to share in and celebrate their cultural traditions. UNDIA also sponsors numerous other campus events committed to educating the community and sharing in the celebration of the culture of American Indians in throughout North Dakota, the region and beyond.
Other Events on This Day
- Spring 2012 Work Well Walking Challenge (All Day)
- Exhibit on Logos and Mascots (All Day)
- Specialty Morning Reformer Pilates (6:15 AM)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- "Eye of the Needle, Eye of the Heart" Exhibition by Elias Sime (9 AM)
- GFPL Basic Computer Class - Drop In Computer Help (10 AM)
- Coffee, Cookies & Conversation (10 AM)
- (editor's pick)UND Earth Day Celebration (11 AM)
- Noon Cycling (12 PM)
- Job Search/Networking Techniques (12 PM)
- Powerhouse Toastmasters Club Meeting (12:10 PM)
- Time Out: Domestic Violence against Native Women (12:15 PM)
- Bhanu Chandar Dasari Doctoral Examination (2 PM)
- Mat Pilates (3 PM)
- (editor's pick)Artwise Elementary Art Show (3:30 PM)
- Music Video Cycle (4 PM)
- TurboKick! (5 PM)
- Cool Runnings Running Group (5 PM)
- Northern Ink - GFPL Writers Group (6 PM)
- Time Out: Powwow Demonstration (6 PM)
- Cardio Kick! (6:15 PM)
- Korean Cooking (6:30 PM)
- CoreCycle (6:45 PM)
- Time Out: Open Mic Night (7 PM)
- Musical Theatre Concert (7:30 PM)
- Guest Percussion and Saxophone Recital (8 PM)
- Time Out: “Beyond Buckskin” (8 PM)
- Yoga Strength (8:45 PM)