Yvonne Spies Hanley Retirement Reception
Thursday, May 3, 2012 3 PM - 5 PM
Please join the Department of Teaching and Learning and the College of Education and Human Development at a retirement reception honoring Professor Emeritus Yvonne Spies Hanley from 3 to 5 p.m. Thursday, May 3, in the Education Building Grand Lobby. She will retire at the end of the spring 2012 semester.
Hanley earned her undergraduate degrees in English and library sciences and a master’s degree in library science from UND. She became a member of the UND faculty in 1977, when she was hired in Library Science Department, which was a part of Human Resources and Development (HRD). In 1995, when HRD closed, she moved to the Education Department and has held a joint appointment with both the Chester Fritz Library and the College of Education and Human Development since. Throughout the entire 35 years of her career at UND, she has taught Survey of Children’s Literature every term. When asked about this, Yvonne replied with a smile, “Who cannot have fun with children’s books?” Thirty-five years worth of students benefited from her positive attitude and expertise and now feel the same way. Her impact on present and future teachers has been profound.
Hanley and her husband, Jim, a retired teacher, have been married for 43 years. They intend to continue to make Grand Forks their primary home, but have also purchased a condo in Arizona to live near their two daughters and four of their six grandchildren. Please join us in thanking Yvonne for her 35 years of service, teaching, and research at UND and in the Grand Forks community. We wish her well in her retirement.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Spring 2012 Work Well Walking Challenge (All Day)
- Sunrise Yoga (6 AM)
- "Eye of the Needle, Eye of the Heart" Exhibition by Elias Sime (9 AM)
- GFPL Toddler Story Time (10 AM)
- Children's Garden Club Info Meeting (4 PM)
- University Senate Meeting (4:05 PM)
- Studio One - live television production (4:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)Night Shadow Performance & Reading (5 PM)
- Xpress Pump (5:15 PM)
- Cycling for a Cause (5:15 PM)
- (editor's pick)Family Learning Fair featuring Penny & Pals (5:30 PM)
- Cardio Sculpt (6 PM)
- (editor's pick)UND SPORTS TV (6 PM)
- (editor's pick)Cookin' with the Kiddos (6 PM)
- Basic Computer Class - Picture This (6 PM)
- Xpress Cycle (6:15 PM)
- Night Ride (7 PM)
- Keith Butler Seminar (7 PM)
- Zumba (7:15 PM)
- Almost, Maine (7:30 PM)
- Dance Fit (8:30 PM)