The Oakes Twins Exhibition
Thursday, September 20, 2012 9 AM - 5 PM
Kids & Families, Museum / Gallery Exhibit
Contact: Rebecca Grandstrand 701.777.4195
Contact Dept: North Dakota Museum of Art
North Dakota Museum of Art
261 Centennial Dr.
Grand Forks, ND 58202
Collaborating since the age of three, the identical twin artists Ryan and Trevor Oakes create perspective drawings from nature and architecture using an innovative concave easel, invented as part of their ongoing exploration of human vision and the experience of space and depth. Among their best known drawings are the Getty Museum garden in Los Angeles; the Anish Kapoor's landmark sculpture Cloud Gate in Millennium Park in Chicago—now on display at O'Hare International Airport; Palazzo Strozzi, its courtyard and its people, in Florence, Italy; and the grand hall of the Field Museum in Chicago.
The Twins have developed a remarkable new method for tracing the world before them onto a curved surface, completely freehand and by eye alone. This method has been described, by no less an authority than Columbia University’s perceptual historian Jonathan Crary, as one of the most original breakthroughs in the rendering of visual space since the Renaissance.
The Twins will return to Grand Forks in the winter to create their first winter landscape. While in North Dakota for the installation and opening of their show at 5 PM on Tuesday, August 7, they will scout potential sites.
Parking for the opening on Tuesday, August 7, 5 PM is free in all lots surrounding the Museum.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- Stomping Grounds University Place Grand Re-Opening (7:30 AM)
- Samantha Chase Doctoral Examination (8 AM)
- 'Collaboration: A La Rauschenberg' Exhibition (9 AM)
- UAS Technology Demonstrations (9 AM)
- (editor's pick)Accounting Fair (9:30 AM)
- GFPL Toddler Story Time (10 AM)
- Entrepreneur Forum, “ Tell Me Something Interesting… An Introduction to Brand Development and Branding by Craig Silvernagel (12 PM)
- Noon Cycling (12:10 PM)
- Yoga Sculpt (12:30 PM)
- Workshop: Getting Started with Blackboard (1 PM)
- Workshop: iPads - Beginners (1:30 PM)
- Workshop: Record Lectures with Tegrity (2 PM)
- (editor's pick)Student Showcase (2 PM)
- Underage Drinking Research Webinar (2 PM)
- Geohazard Mapping Seminar (3 PM)
- Music Video Cycle (4:15 PM)
- Fitness Xpress (4:30 PM)
- Boxing (4:30 PM)
- Beginner Reformer Pilates (5:30 PM)
- Cooking With the Kiddos (6 PM)
- GFPL Basic Computer Class - Electronic Devices (It's on, now what?) (6 PM)
- Cardio Sculpt (6:15 PM)
- Cycle for a Cause (6:15 PM)
- A Good Yarn Knitting Club (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- Good People (7:30 PM)
- Miranda Graduate Trumpet Recital (8 PM)
- UND Volleyball at Weber State (8 PM)
- Hip Hop (8:15 PM)
- Night Ride (8:15 PM)
- Advanced Swing Club (9:15 PM)