The Oakes Twins Exhibition
Friday, September 28, 2012 9 AM - 5 PM
Kids & Families, Museum / Gallery Exhibit
Contact: Rebecca Grandstrand 701.777.4195
Contact Dept: North Dakota Museum of Art
North Dakota Museum of Art
261 Centennial Dr.
Grand Forks, ND 58202
Collaborating since the age of three, the identical twin artists Ryan and Trevor Oakes create perspective drawings from nature and architecture using an innovative concave easel, invented as part of their ongoing exploration of human vision and the experience of space and depth. Among their best known drawings are the Getty Museum garden in Los Angeles; the Anish Kapoor's landmark sculpture Cloud Gate in Millennium Park in Chicago—now on display at O'Hare International Airport; Palazzo Strozzi, its courtyard and its people, in Florence, Italy; and the grand hall of the Field Museum in Chicago.
The Twins have developed a remarkable new method for tracing the world before them onto a curved surface, completely freehand and by eye alone. This method has been described, by no less an authority than Columbia University’s perceptual historian Jonathan Crary, as one of the most original breakthroughs in the rendering of visual space since the Renaissance.
The Twins will return to Grand Forks in the winter to create their first winter landscape. While in North Dakota for the installation and opening of their show at 5 PM on Tuesday, August 7, they will scout potential sites.
Parking for the opening on Tuesday, August 7, 5 PM is free in all lots surrounding the Museum.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Last day for instructors to submit removals of incomplete to the Office of the Registrar (All Day)
- Family Weekend (All Day)
- Healthy Campus Challenge Triathlon Registration (All Day)
- Nancy Gardner Memorial Food Drive (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- PriceWaterhouse Coopers Interviews (8:15 AM)
- BYOT- "Bring Your Own Technology" (9 AM)
- 'Collaboration: A La Rauschenberg' Exhibition (9 AM)
- Charlotte Klesman Doctoral Examination (10 AM)
- Job Search/Networking Techniques (10 AM)
- ZUMBA (12 PM)
- Tsvetan Aleksandrov Doctoral Examination (12 PM)
- Job Search/Networking Techniques (12 PM)
- UND Men's Cross Country at Missoula, Mont. (12:20 PM)
- UND Women's Cross Country at Missoula, Mont. (1:10 PM)
- Career Fair Success (2:30 PM)
- Yoga Renewal (3 PM)
- Physics Colloquium (4 PM)
- (editor's pick)UND SPORTS TV (6 PM)
- (editor's pick)Family Fun Night (6 PM)
- Crimes of the Heart - Sold Out (7:30 PM)
- UND Soccer at Northern Colorado (8 PM)