Slip Away - Movie Premiere & Book Signing
Friday, October 5, 2012 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Category: UND Alumni, Community Event, Movie Event
Contact: Kathleen Coudle-King 701.746.8071
Contact Dept: Greater Grand Forks Community Theatre
Fire Hall Theater
412 2nd Avenue North
Grand Forks, ND 58201
Saarens Productions and Fire Hall Theater announce an evening of literature and film to be presented on Friday, Oct. 5, at the Fire Hall Theater in Grand Forks, N.D.
Author, DeeJay Arens, will be signing copies of his debut novel, “The View from a Rusty Train Car” at 6:30 p.m.
“No one talks about what happens when you fall in love with the boy next door -- not when you’re the boy living beside the boy next door.” Jared and Luke are neighbors, friends, and gay. They are struggling with who they are because they can’t be what everyone else wants them and expects them to be. They deal with issues like prom dates and ‘straight camps’ in a way that has never been explored before. Together, they find refuge in an abandoned rusty train car. This is a coming-of-age story that is unlike any you have read before and one you will never forget.
Arens’ debut novel was released from Writers AMuse Me Publishing in August and has been nominated for three literary awards; The Independent Book Publishers Award (IPPY), the Eric Hoffer Award, and the Next Generation Indie Book Awards.
At 7 p.m., there will be a screening of Saarens Productions’ premiere full-length feature film entitled “Slip Away.” The film was written by DeeJay Arens and directed by Steve Saari.
The story of “Slip Away” concerns the troubled reunion of a son and his father after fifteen years of estrangement. The son, Jason, played by scriptwriter and producer DeeJay Arens, was thrown out of his family home by his father when he came out to his mother on her deathbed. Jason chose not to communicate with his father and his two sisters after his exile from home until an invitation from his father’s second wife sets the stage for an emotional and heartbreaking homecoming.
The cast features local and regional actors including: DeeJay Arens (Bemidji, MN); Sarah Einerson (Bemidji, MN); Dixie Evans (Grand Forks, ND); Darleen Quanrud (Bemidji, MN); Julie Quanrud (Bemidji, MN); Bob Seidel (Grand Forks, ND); Rob Thomas (Minneapolis, MN – formerly of Bemidji); Robert Turner (Grand Forks, ND); and Ruth Turner (Grand Forks, ND).
“Slip Away” was filmed in Bemidji during the summer and fall of 2011 and spring of 2012.
Proceeds from the film showing will benefit the Fire Hall Theater.
Other Events on This Day
- Healthy Campus Challenge Triathlon Registration (All Day)
- Healthy Campus Challenge Triathlon (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- American College of Norway 20th Anniversary (7 AM)
- 18th Annual Clothesline Project (8 AM)
- BYOT- "Bring Your Own Technology" (9 AM)
- Workshop: Creating Surveys with Qualtrics (Intermediate) (10 AM)
- Job Search/Networking Techniques (10 AM)
- ZUMBA (12 PM)
- Job Search/Networking Techniques (12 PM)
- Institutional Review Board Meeting (2 PM)
- Yoga Renewal (3 PM)
- Physics Colloquium (4 PM)
- CubeSatellite General Interest Meeting (4 PM)
- (editor's pick)UND SPORTS TV (6 PM)
- UND Soccer at Eastern Washington (6 PM)
- (editor's pick)2012 Zombie Movie Fest (7 PM)
- Public Talk by National Mediation Teacher (7 PM)
- (editor's pick)UND Women's Hockey vs. Minnesota State (7:05 PM)