Friday, February 1, 2013 12 PM
Leading Edge of Earth and Planetary Sciences (LEEPS) lecture series welcomes Adam Simon to Lecture Feb. 1. Simon, an associate professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Michigan, will present two lectures.
At noon Friday, Feb. 1, in 100 Leonard Hall, Simon will Lecture on “Exploring the Relationship Between Volcanoes and Metal Commodities.” At 3 p.m. that day, he will present a lecture titled “The Origin of Carlin-type Gold Deposits, Earth's Fourth Largest Gold Resource” in 100 Leonard Hall.
The lectures are presented by the Harold Hamm School of Geology & Geological Engineering. All Are Welcome.
Simon combines field, laboratory, and experimental work to investigate the physical and chemical evolution of magmatic systems. He is especially interested in the role that aqueous fluids play in moderating trace element mobility in environments ranging from subduction zones to porphyry-type ore deposits.
His research group is currently involved in projects ranging from the development of arc volcanoes and their relationship to melting and dehydration processes at the slab-mantle wedge interface, the physical and chemical nature of magma degassing and how this relates to the formation of metal ore deposits, the behavior of base and precious metals in water-saturated silicate magmas, and the physical and chemical connectivity of plutons and volcanoes.
Current field locations include: Kamchatka, Russia; Yosemite National Park, California, U.S.A.; northern Nevada, U.S.A.; and the Colorado River Extensional Corridor in southern Nevada, U.S.A.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking and Transportation Services, 3925 Campus Rd Stop 9030 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).
Other Events on This Day
- Last day for students to submit incomplete work from Fall to instructors (All Day)
- Ski UND (5:30 AM)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- (editor's pick)UND Financial Wellness Open House (10 AM)
- UND Athletic Fan Lunch (11:30 AM)
- UND Men's Track & Field at Thundering Herd Classic (12 PM)
- UND Women's Track & Field at Thundering Herd Classic (12 PM)
- Turbo Kick (12 PM)
- UND W. Tennis vs. Montana (1 PM)
- Institutional Review Board Meeting (2 PM)
- PiYo Strength (3:30 PM)
- Physics and Astrophysics Colloquium (4 PM)
- (editor's pick)UND SPORTS TV (6 PM)
- UND Women's Hockey at Minnesota State (7:05 PM)
- UPC After Dark (7:30 PM)
- UND Men's Hockey vs. Wisconsin (7:35 PM)
- UND W. Tennis vs. South Dakota State (8 PM)
- God of Carnage (9:30 PM)