(editor's pick)Writers Conference World Poetry Reading
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2 PM
Contact: Crystal Alberts 701.777.2393
Contact Dept: English
Memorial Union River Valley Room
2901 University Ave.
Grand Forks, ND 58202
The 44th Annual Writers Conference, "A Portrait of an Artist" will run March 19-23.
Each year, literature lovers from all over North Dakota and beyond attend this event to listen to panel discussions, readings and ask questions of internationally prominent authors.
The lineup for this year's authors and artists include Cheryl Strayed, Nick Flynn, Ed Bok Lee, Dorothy Allison, Gary Shteyngart, Mary Jo Bang and Richard Bausch, as well as two-time Oscar nominee and Pulitzer Prize winner Tony Kushner.
Each authors will give a public reading during the Conference with time reserved for audience members to pose questions, with a book signing to follow. These readings take place at 4p.m. and 8 p.m., Tuesday through Friday, primarily in the UND Memorial Ballroom. At 8p.m., on Friday, at the Chester Fritz Auditorium, the UND Writers Conference will feature "A Conversation with Tony Kushner" moderated by Jack Russell Weinstein, director of the UND Institute for Philosophy in Public Life and the host of Prairie Public's popular WHY? Radio show.
In addition to readings, the Conference includes three panel discussions, where a group of Conference authors answer questions posed by the moderator and those submitted by the audience. Also, this year, the UND Theatre Arts Department will stage two Tony Kushner plays on Saturday night, March 23. A complete schedule is available athttp://www.undwritersconference.org/wc-schedule.htm.
All sessions are free to attend and open to the public.
There is no need to be familiar with an author's work prior to the session. People who are interested in brushing up on a particular author before the session can pick up books for the 2013 Writers Conference at the Bookstore.
For the latest updates, people can always "like" the Writers Conference on Facebook athttps://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-North-Dakota-Writers-Conference/48005431903.
To learn more about the Writers Conference and view the full schedule visit www.undwritersconference.org.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- National Nutrition Month (All Day)
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- CANCELED: R.I.P.P.E.D. (7:15 AM)
- Dan Jones: Charcoal Exhibition (9 AM)
- Grids, Blobs, Smears and Stripes: A Timothy Ray Retrospective (9 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- WEBINAR - Workshop: Creating Surveys with Qualtrics - Beginner (10 AM)
- Career Crash Course: Resume/Cover Letter Writing (10:30 AM)
- Yoga Relax (11:45 AM)
- Noon Cycling (12 PM)
- Career Crash Course: Resume/Cover Letter Writing (12:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)HLC Open Forum: Criterion 2 (3 PM)
- CYGA (4 PM)
- ArtWise Elementary Art Show (4 PM)
- (editor's pick)Writers Conference Reading: Richard Bausch (4 PM)
- ViPR (4:30 PM)
- Weight Watchers at Work (4:45 PM)
- PILSA Tax Assistance (5 PM)
- Row & Ride (5:30 PM)
- Cheap, Fast and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)Boxing (5:30 PM)
- Perspective Drawing Class (5:30 PM)
- Turbo Kick (6 PM)
- (editor's pick)Writers Conference Film: Elsa y Fred (6 PM)
- (editor's pick)Great Reads Book Club (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- (editor's pick)Writers Conference Reading: Dorothy Allison (8 PM)
- Junior Viola Recital (8 PM)
- Beginners Swing (8:30 PM)
- Writers Conference Reception (9 PM)