(editor's pick)Writers Conference Reading: Ed Bok Lee
Thursday, March 21, 2013 4 PM
The 44th Annual University of North Dakota Writers Conference, "A Portrait of an Artist" will run March 19-23.
Each year, literature lovers from all over North Dakota and beyond attend this event to listen to panel discussions, readings and ask questions of internationally prominent authors.
The lineup for this year's authors and artists include Cheryl Strayed, Nick Flynn, Ed Bok Lee, Dorothy Allison, Gary Shteyngart, Mary Jo Bang and Richard Bausch, as well as two-time Oscar nominee and Pulitzer Prize winner Tony Kushner.
Each authors will give a public reading during the Conference with time reserved for audience members to pose questions, with a book signing to follow. These readings take place at 4p.m. and 8 p.m., Tuesday through Friday, primarily in the UND Memorial Ballroom. At 8p.m., on Friday, at the Chester Fritz Auditorium, the UND Writers Conference will feature "A Conversation with Tony Kushner" moderated by Jack Russell Weinstein, director of the UND Institute for Philosophy in Public Life and the host of Prairie Public's popular WHY? Radio show.
In addition to readings, the Conference includes three panel discussions, where a group of Conference authors answer questions posed by the moderator and those submitted by the audience. Also, this year, the UND Theatre Arts Department will stage two Tony Kushner plays on Saturday night, March 23. A complete schedule is available athttp://www.undwritersconference.org/wc-schedule.htm.
All sessions are free to attend and open to the public.
There is no need to be familiar with an author's work prior to the session. People who are interested in brushing up on a particular author before the session can pick up books for the 2013 Writers Conference at the UND Bookstore.
Ed Bok Lee
Lee the author of two books of poetry, Real Karaoke People, winner of a PEN/Open Book Award, and an Asian American Literary Award (Members' Choice), and Whorled, winner of a Minnesota Book Award in Poetry and a 2012 American Book Award. He also writes plays and fiction. Lee has worked as a journalist, phys ed instructor, bartender, and translator. He holds an MFA from Brown University, and has shared his work in journals, anthologies, and on stages across North America, Europe, and Asia, as well as on public radio and television, and MTV.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- National Nutrition Month (All Day)
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- CANCELED: R.I.P.P.E.D. (7:15 AM)
- Dan Jones: Charcoal Exhibition (9 AM)
- Grids, Blobs, Smears and Stripes: A Timothy Ray Retrospective (9 AM)
- Who Needs Feminism? (9 AM)
- Toddler Storytime (10 AM)
- WEBINAR - Workshop: Lecture Capture with Tegrity (10 AM)
- Writers Conference Public Readings (10 AM)
- Career Crash Course: Job Search/Networking Techniques (10:30 AM)
- (editor's pick)Spring Grad Expo (11 AM)
- Graham Tobin Lecture (11 AM)
- Writers Conference Panel: Diving into the Wreck (12 PM)
- Career Crash Course: Job Search/Networking Techniques (12:30 PM)
- Coffee, Cookies & Conversation (1 PM)
- Rod Scilley Retirement Reception (1 PM)
- Student Showcase (2 PM)
- Writers Conference: The Philosophy of Poetry (2 PM)
- (editor's pick)Research Strategic Plan Forum (3 PM)
- Graham Tobin Lecture (3:30 PM)
- Turbo Kick (3:45 PM)
- ArtWise Elementary Art Show (4 PM)
- ViPR (4:30 PM)
- 20/20/20 (4:45 PM)
- Studio One Live Show (5 PM)
- Music Video Cycle (5:15 PM)
- Boxing (5:30 PM)
- Cardio Sculpt (6 PM)
- GFPL Basic Computer Class: Drop-In Microsoft Help. (6 PM)
- (editor's pick)Writers Conference Film: Winter's Bone (6 PM)
- enCORE (7 PM)
- Peace Corps Virtual Info Session (7 PM)
- A Good Yarn Knitting Group @ GFPL (7 PM)
- Story Time at Campbell Library (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:45 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)
- Writers Conference: ND Humanities Council Reading - Cheryl Strayed (8 PM)
- Yoga Strength (8:45 PM)
- Writers Conference Reception (9 PM)