(editor's pick)Writers Conference Reading: Nick Flynn
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8 PM
A reception will follow at the North Dakota Museum of Art.
The 44th Annual University of North Dakota Writers Conference, "A Portrait of an Artist" will run March 19-23.
Each year, literature lovers from all over North Dakota and beyond attend this event to listen to panel discussions, readings and ask questions of internationally prominent authors.
The lineup for this year's authors and artists include Cheryl Strayed, Nick Flynn, Ed Bok Lee, Dorothy Allison, Gary Shteyngart, Mary Jo Bang and Richard Bausch, as well as two-time Oscar nominee and Pulitzer Prize winner Tony Kushner.
Each authors will give a public reading during the Conference with time reserved for audience members to pose questions, with a book signing to follow. These readings take place at 4p.m. and 8 p.m., Tuesday through Friday, primarily in the UND Memorial Ballroom. At 8p.m., on Friday, at the Chester Fritz Auditorium, the UND Writers Conference will feature "A Conversation with Tony Kushner" moderated by Jack Russell Weinstein, director of the UND Institute for Philosophy in Public Life and the host of Prairie Public's popular WHY? Radio show.
In addition to readings, the Conference includes three panel discussions, where a group of Conference authors answer questions posed by the moderator and those submitted by the audience. Also, this year, the UND Theatre Arts Department will stage two Tony Kushner plays on Saturday night, March 23. A complete schedule is available athttp://www.undwritersconference.org/wc-schedule.htm.
All sessions are free to attend and open to the public.
There is no need to be familiar with an author's work prior to the session. People who are interested in brushing up on a particular author before the session can pick up books for the 2013 Writers Conference at the UND Bookstore.
Flynn is the author of three memoirs, The Reenactments (Norton, 2013), The Ticking is the Bomb: A Memoir of Bewilderment (2010) and Another Bullshit Night in Suck City (2004), which won the PEN/Martha Albrand Award for the Art of the Memoir and has been translated into fifteen languages. Another Bullshit Night in Suck City has been made into a film, Being Flynn , starring Robert DeNiro as Flynn's father, Julianne Moore as his mother, and Paul Dano as Nick. He is also the author of three books of poetry, The Captain Asks For a Show of Hands (Graywolf, 2011), Some Ether (Graywolf, 2000), which won the PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award, and Blind Huber (Graywolf, 2002). He has been awarded fellowships from The Guggenheim Foundation, The Library of Congress, The Amy Lowell Trust, and The Fine Arts Work Center. Some of the venues his poems, essays and non-fiction have appeared in include The New Yorker, the Paris Review, National Public Radio's "This American Life," and The New York Times Book Review. He worked as a "field poet" and as an artistic collaborator on the film Darwin's Nightmare, which was nominated for an Academy Award for best feature documentary in 2006.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Kick Butts Day (All Day)
- National Nutrition Month (All Day)
- Muscle Pump (6:15 AM)
- Morning Reformer Pilates (6:15 AM)
- U2-Civility on Your Campus (8:30 AM)
- Dan Jones: Charcoal Exhibition (9 AM)
- Grids, Blobs, Smears and Stripes: A Timothy Ray Retrospective (9 AM)
- Story Time at Campbell Library (10 AM)
- Writers Conference Public Readings (10 AM)
- Basic Computer Class - Drop-In Computer Help (10 AM)
- Career Crash Course: Interviewing Techniques (10:30 AM)
- Obesity Prevention: Individual to Community, and Beyond (12 PM)
- Writers Conference Panel: "Remembrance of Things Past" (12 PM)
- Bone Marrow Donor Drive Meeting (12 PM)
- Powerhouse Toastmasters Club Meeting (12:10 PM)
- Weight Watchers at Work (12:15 PM)
- Career Crash Course: Interviewing Techniques (12:30 PM)
- Northwestern Mutual-Bohannon Group (12:30 PM)
- New Employee Orientation (1 PM)
- Writers Conference Film: Adaptation (2 PM)
- Webinar - Teaching Naked: Technology and E-Communication for Student Engagement, Jose Bowen (2 PM)
- Ed Nelson Memorial Lecture (3:30 PM)
- ZUMBA (4 PM)
- ArtWise Elementary Art Show (4 PM)
- (editor's pick)Writers Conference Reading: Mary Jo Bang (4 PM)
- Classic Rock Cycle (4:15 PM)
- Formal Fitness (4:45 PM)
- Cardio Kick! (6 PM)
- Writers Conference Film: Exit Through the Gift Shop (6 PM)
- Northern Ink Writer's Group @ GFPL (6 PM)
- Peace Corps Info Session (6 PM)
- Hip Hop (7:15 PM)
- CoreCycle (7:15 PM)
- Junior Trombone Recital (8 PM)
- Yoga Strength (8:45 PM)
- Writers Conference Reception (9 PM)