(editor's pick)164th Infantry Presentation
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7 PM
A public presentation on the history of North Dakota’s 164th Infantry Regiment is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 2, in the Chester Fritz Library East Asian Room.
Shirley J. Olgeirson, editor of The 164th Infantry News since 2005, will lead the presentation. The talk is called “The 164th Infantry Regiment: History, Heroism, Heritage” and will look at the 164th Infantry’s significance to North Dakota history, emphasizing its performance during World War II and its enduring legacy. Her presentation will also focus on the war activities of Company M, which originated from Grand Forks. Before and after the talk, attendees will have the opportunity to view an exhibit on display in the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections that relates to the 164th Infantry.
In 1992, Olgeirson, a retired National Guard lieutenant colonel, coordinated a trip to Guadalcanal – a key location in the history of the 164th – as part of the 50th anniversary of World War II.
The talk is being presented through the coordinated efforts of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections at UND and the War Studies Group, a group of local historians and residents that gather once a month to discuss military history.
The event is free and open to the public.
For more information on the Department of Special Collections, please visit http://library.und.edu/special-collections/ and for more information on the War Studies Group, please visit http://warstudiesgroup.wordpress.com.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking and Transportation Services, 3925 Campus Rd Stop 9030 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).
Other Events on This Day
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- CANCELED: R.I.P.P.E.D. (7:15 AM)
- Dan Jones: Charcoal Exhibition (9 AM)
- Grids, Blobs, Smears and Stripes: A Timothy Ray Retrospective (9 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- UND Women's Golf at Houston Baptist Husky Invitational (10 AM)
- Career Crash Course: Resume/Cover Letter Writing (10:30 AM)
- Tour of the Grand Forks Senior Center (11 AM)
- Yoga Relax (11:45 AM)
- UND Women's Golf at Houston, Texas (12 PM)
- Noon Cycling (12 PM)
- Career Crash Course: Resume/Cover Letter Writing (12:30 PM)
- UND Softball at South Dakota (2 PM)
- UND Softball at South Dakota (2) (2 PM)
- (editor's pick)HLC Open Forum: Criterion 4 (3 PM)
- CYGA (4 PM)
- ViPR (4:30 PM)
- Weight Watchers at Work (4:45 PM)
- PILSA Tax Assistance (5 PM)
- Row & Ride (5:30 PM)
- Boxing (5:30 PM)
- Cheap, Fast and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- Turbo Kick (6 PM)
- Teen Advisory Board (TAB) @ the Grand Forks Public Library (7 PM)
- Evening Storytime @ GFPL (7 PM)
- (editor's pick)Global Visions - The Namesake (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- Beginners Swing (8:30 PM)