(editor's pick)Outer Space in the Great Plains: Resources for Aliens
Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Kids & Families, Community Event, Lectures / Seminars
Contact: Katrina Jackson 701.777.2480
Clifford Hall 210
4149 University Ave.
Grand Forks, ND 58202
There will be a free talk for the public this Saturday, April 6 at 2:30 p.m., as part of the “Outer Space in the Great Plains” Series. The hour-long interactive presentation will provide information on what resources aliens might find useful on our planet and in our solar system. The talk will be held in room 210 of Clifford Hall, located at the southeast corner of 42nd Street and University Avenue. Free parking is available in the lot just south of Clifford Hall. This is the last talk in the “Outer Space in the Great Plains” series.
In this interactive presentation, the audience members are alien entrepreneurs looking to set up some sort of business in our neighborhood. Perhaps there is something unique in our solar system they want, or maybe they’re just passing through on their galactic travels and need an outpost to refuel and restock. Audience members will provide suggestions of what they are hoping to find here, and the presenters will discuss possible scenarios and provide background on useful resources.
The talk will be presented by Annie Wargetz and Katrina Jackson, graduate students in the Space Studies Master’s Program and volunteer NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassadors.
The Solar System Ambassadors Program of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory offers information and excitement about real missions that explore our solar system. Volunteer ambassadors in communities throughout the country are selected by JPL based on their backgrounds and on their plans for public outreach activities. JPL provides ambassadors with educational materials and training. However, the opinions of Ambassadors are not necessarily those of NASA or JPL. Further information about the Solar System Ambassadors Program is available at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/. JPL is a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- (editor's pick)ND GLBTQA Conference 2013 (8 AM)
- Spin for Kids Fundraiser (8:30 AM)
- Wellness Fair (9 AM)
- Vinyasa Yoga Workshop with Dillon Cherrett (9 AM)
- PILSA Tax Assistance (9 AM)
- Friends of the Grand Forks Public Library Spring Book Sale (9 AM)
- Story Time at Campbell Library (10 AM)
- StepFit (10 AM)
- UND Men's Track & Field at Dakota Duals (10 AM)
- UND Women's Track & Field at Dakota Duals (10 AM)
- Dan Jones: Charcoal Exhibition (1 PM)
- Grids, Blobs, Smears and Stripes: A Timothy Ray Retrospective (1 PM)
- Vinyasa Yoga Workshop with Dillon Cherrett (1:30 PM)
- UND W. Tennis vs. Southern Utah (3 PM)
- UND Women's Tennis vs. Southern Utah (3 PM)
- Greater Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra (7:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)UND Men's Tennis vs. St. Cloud State (7:30 PM)
- Snapshots from Armageddon (9:30 PM)