(editor's pick)Celebrating Art of the 60s & 70s
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Public invited to dress in period garb for special reception and tours
Break out your bell-bottom slacks and tie dye shirts -- or maybe – you’d prefer the retro sophistication of the Mad Men look.
Whatever your style, you won’t be a square on Tuesday, April 23, at a special reception for the newest University of North Dakota Art Collections at the Empire show: Selected Works from 1960-1982. The community is encouraged, but not required, to come decked out head to toe in their best 1960s and 1970s outfits. They’ll be able turn on and tune in to this special show, featuring art and artists who helped frame the counterculture whirlwind that dominated much of the period.
The reception, including refreshments and art tours, is set for 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., in the UND Art Collections Gallery at the Empire Arts Center, 415 DeMers Ave., downtown Grand Forks. Normal hours of operation for the UND gallery are Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 5 p.m.; and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The gallery is free and open to the public.
The show, which will run through May 18, features 22 works of art by internationally acclaimed artists such as Jasper Johns, Robert Mortherwell, Robert Rauschenberg, Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol, just to name a few.
Two artists with local connections – Eunice Renee Kuhn nee Lizakowski and Peter Lockrem – also have works included in the show, keeping with the spirit and mission of the Empire Arts Center to acknowledge the regional art community.
The UND Art Collections Gallery at the Empire Arts Center was established on Aug. 29, 2012, extending UND’s rich collection of art beyond the campus borders. It was one of the first tangible examples of the University's commitment to expand its presence into the community – a primary tenet of the Exceptional UND initiative.
Other Events on This Day
- Earth Week (All Day)
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- Workshop: Creating Interactive Study Aids with StudyMate (9 AM)
- UND Women's Golf at Big Sky Conference Tournament (10 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- Career Crash Course: Resume/Cover Letter Writing (10:30 AM)
- (editor's pick)Earth Week: UND and City Tours (11 AM)
- Yoga Relax (11:45 AM)
- Noon Cycling (12 PM)
- Hadi Jabbari Doctoral Examination (12 PM)
- UND Women's Golf at Chandler, Ariz. (12 PM)
- (editor's pick)Tech Trends Forum: Plagiarism Strategies & Software (12:30 PM)
- Career Crash Course: Resume/Cover Letter Writing (12:30 PM)
- UND Softball vs. South Dakota (2 PM)
- UND Men's Track & Field at Cobber Twilight (3 PM)
- UND Women's Track & Field at Cobber Twilight (3 PM)
- UND Softball vs. South Dakota (2) (3 PM)
- CYGA (4 PM)
- ViPR (4:30 PM)
- Weight Watchers at Work (4:45 PM)
- Row & Ride (5:30 PM)
- Cheap, Fast and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- CANCELED: Boxing (5:30 PM)
- Turbo Kick (6 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- (editor's pick)University Band & UND Rock & Rhythm Review "Pops" Concert (8 PM)
- “POPS” concert (8 PM)
- Beginners Swing (8:30 PM)