(editor's pick)Bite Sized Art History
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
In this class we will explore the symbolism and rituals associated with food depicted in Western art. Each class will feature a discussion of paintings throughout history that depict the symbolism, customs and rituals associated with food and dining. Topics include symbolic meanings of specific foods, allegorical representations of consumption, and modern interpretations of food in consumer culture. Each discussion will be followed by hands-on preparation of delicious, creative recipes inspired by the art explored in class. Topics will include: “The Apple” (July 17), “Vanitas Delicacies” (July 24), and “Temptations” (July 31).
This class will be led by Nicole Derenne. Nicole Derenne teaches art history in the Department of Art and Design at the University of North Dakota. For the past ten years, Derenne has taught classes on Modern Art, Feminist Art, Non-Western Art and surveys of art history from the ancient world to the present. Derenne also enjoys preparing healthy, delicious and creative recipes for her family.
To register, go to: https://tms.ezfacility.com/OnlineRegistrations/Register.aspx?CompanyID=124&GroupID=803357
Class fee is $10 per class.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking and Transportation Services, 3925 Campus Rd Stop 9030 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).
Other Events on This Day
- Denim Day (All Day)
- UND Hockey School Week 3 (All Day)
- (editor's pick)Moths of North Dakota Art Exhibit (All Day)
- Stretch with Steph (8 AM)
- Dietitian Drop-Ins (8 AM)
- cScibot Lego Advanced Camp (9 AM)
- New Employee Orientation (9 AM)
- NDMOA Summer Art Camp (9:30 AM)
- Basic Computer Class - Drop-In Computer Help (10 AM)
- Swim North Dakota (10 AM)
- Burgers on the Boulevard (11 AM)
- Powerhouse Toastmasters Club Meeting (12:10 PM)
- Weight Watchers at Work (12:15 PM)
- cScibot Lego Intro Camp (1 PM)
- Meet You In The Soaring Eagle Prairie Garden (4:30 PM)
- ViPR (4:30 PM)
- Cardio Kick! (5:45 PM)