Music Faculty Lecture Series - Catherine Tlusty
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7 PM - 8 PM
Class Event, Lectures / Seminars
Contact: Katherine Norman Dearden 701.777.2827
Contact Dept: Music Department
Hughes Fine Arts 202
3350 Campus Rd.
Grand Forks, ND 58202
The female adolescent voice change is often overlooked in vocal research and published literature in favor of the more pronounced voice change of the adolescent male. Many well-intentioned voice professionals question the safety and validity of private voice lessons for singers prior to vocal maturity, which does not occur until sometime between the ages of fourteen and seventeen.
The purpose of this lecture is to empower private voice teachers and other voice professionals with knowledge and understanding of the physiological changes that occur during puberty and how these changes affect the female adolescent singing voice. The influences of popular culture on the future vocal health of young women will be addressed. Performances of repertoire suitable for female singers experiencing voice change, stages of voice change, and other tips for teaching these young singers will be presented.
Catherine Tlusty is an Instructor of Voice at the University of North Dakota and also maintains a private voice studio in Grand Forks. She has taught voice lessons for the Summer Performing Arts middle school program for the past three summers. Prior to moving to ND, Catherine taught K-8 Vocal and Choral Music in NJ, and private voice lessons in NJ and PA. She has over 20 years experience working with adolescent voices. Catherine received a B.M. in Music Education/Voice from Westminster Choir College in Princeton, NJ and a M.M. in Vocal Pedagogy from University of North Dakota. She presented a lecture on The Adolescent Voice at the 2013 UND Scholarly Forum. Catherine is a member of the National Association of Teachers of Singing and Pi Kappa Lambda.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Intramural Basketball Online Registration (All Day)
- Intramural Indoor Soccer Online Registration (All Day)
- Intramural Ice Hockey Online Registration (All Day)
- Specialty Group Exercise Registration (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- Help Us Keep the Little Ones Warm! (8 AM)
- Amazon Table at the Memorial Union (9 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- UND Art Collections Exhibition (12 PM)
- Who Guards the Guardians? Internal Oversight in Intelligence Community (12 PM)
- The Wide World of Whole Grains (12:10 PM)
- Data Protection & Privacy (1 PM)
- Turbo Kick (4 PM)
- Cheap, Fast, and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)To Write Love On Her Arms (7 PM)
- (editor's pick)Great Reads Book Club (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)
- Hip Hop (8:45 PM)