(editor's pick)Music Faculty Lecture Series
Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7 PM - 8 PM
Class Event, Lectures / Seminars
Contact: Katherine Norman Dearden 701.777.2827
Contact Dept: Music Department
Hughes Fine Arts 202
3350 Campus Rd.
Grand Forks, ND 58202
The Department of Music and Dr. Katherine Norman Dearden present a Faculty Lecture by Dr. Whitney Berry. This event is free and open to the public.
The Relationships Among Burnout, Attrition and Instructional Congruence in College Music Theory
Music theory is a core course in all undergraduate music degree programs. Students enter this course with varying degrees of prior subject matter knowledge, which presents a challenge to music theory teaching and learning. An incongruence between the student’s prior knowledge and the level of instruction can negatively affect learning, mental health and persistence in the course sequence and degree program.
This lecture will present the results of a study that investigated the relationships among burnout, attrition and instructional congruence in a population of first and third semester undergraduate music theory students. The implications of this research for faculty members and departments will also be addressed.
Dr. Whitney Berry is a lecturer at the University of North Dakota where she teaches Music Theory and Aural Skills courses. Her major area of research is in college music theory pedagogy, with particular focus on active learning games-based instructional methods.
Dr. Berry is a frequent guest speaker and clinician in the Grand Forks area, presenting courses, workshops and guest lectures on her innovative and
creative teaching methods to faculty and graduate students as well K-12 public school and private music teachers in the community.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Intramural Basketball Online Registration (All Day)
- Intramural Indoor Soccer Online Registration (All Day)
- Intramural Ice Hockey Online Registration (All Day)
- Specialty Group Exercise Registration (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- (editor's pick)Submit Your Outstanding Faculty Award Nominations (8 AM)
- Staying on Track (10 AM)
- Men's Golf at Nebraska (10 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- (editor's pick)Homecoming Royalty Ice Cream Social (11 AM)
- UND Art Collections Exhibition (12 PM)
- Progressive Discipline (1:30 PM)
- Turbo Kick (4 PM)
- Cheap, Fast, and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)Take Back the Night Rally (7 PM)
- (editor's pick)Global Visions Film Series: Compliance (7 PM)
- This & That Book Club (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- (editor's pick)Elliott BROOD in concert (7:30 PM)
- Clothesline Project (8 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)
- Hip Hop (8:45 PM)