(editor's pick)Quilting on the Red Quilt Show
Saturday, October 19, 2013 9 AM - 5 PM
Cost: $5 Daily show admission, $10 per lecture
Category: Lectures / Seminars
Contact: Suzanne Gandrud 701.795.8530
Alerus Center Ballroom
1200 S 42nd St.
Grand Forks, ND 58201
Special Exhibits: Fiber Look at the Elements - 118 small art quilts depicting the periodic table of elements
Red River Machine Quilters - Comparison Quilts
Silent Auction benefitting Altru Health System's "Camp good Mourning" - Bidding from 9 am - 4 pm.
Lecture by Mary Fons.
Mary co-hosts the nationall airing PBS program "Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting". She is the creator of "Quilty" an online show offered weekly on QNNtv.com. Mary is also the creator of Quilty magazine, a bi-monthly publication available nationwide, via mail and online. Mary is a writer, quilter and entertainer.
10:00 am - "How to Learn to Quilt on National TV"
In this entertaining talk, Mary shares what it's like to do a quilting show on TV and the internet. Hear some funny behind-the-scenes stories (like the letters she gets from prisoners who watch the show!), learn how a program like Love of Quilting gets made, and how Mary has learned to be a better quilter because she's always being watched. Mary is editor of Quilty magazine, as well, so as a bonus, you can take away valuable advice about submitting work to magazines.
12:30 pm - "A 30-Something Quilter Tells All"
A humorous and inspiring lecture, Mary has received standing ovations for this one. Learn how Marianne Fons (Mary's mom) got started, how the industry has changed since then, and why quilts in the 21st century matter more than ever. Great slides and a lot of good cheer included.
2:30 pm - "Q & A with Mary Fons" followed by a meet and greet
Got a question about quilting magazines? Want to know what Liz Porter is up to? Does Mary pre-wash or not? Learn all these things and more -- like how to wash a quilt -- at a fun Q&A.
Other Events on This Day
- Specialty Group Exercise Registration (All Day)
- AFAA Personal Trainer Certification (8 AM)
- (editor's pick)Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes (8 AM)
- Help Us Keep the Little Ones Warm! (8 AM)
- (editor's pick)Ron Pynn Invitational (8 AM)
- Friends of the Library Fall Book Sale (9 AM)
- Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes - TEAM UND (9:30 AM)
- Power Cycle (11 AM)
- UND Art Collections Exhibition (12 PM)
- (editor's pick)Art & Wine Walk (1 PM)
- Women's Cross Country UND Ron Pynn Invitational (2 PM)
- Football vs. Sacramento State (2:30 PM)
- Men's Cross Country UND Ron Pynn Invitational (2:45 PM)
- Opera Viewing (6 PM)
- Women's Hockey vs. Ohio State (7:05 PM)
- Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom (7:30 PM)
- Men's Hockey at Miami (7:30 PM)
- DOG SEES GOD (9:30 PM)
- Volleyball at Northern Arizona (9:30 PM)