On Teaching Breakfast Seminar
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM
Every teacher wonders what her or his students are remembering from our class—and usually we get a partial answer to that question when we sit down to grade a quiz or exam. But how often do we consider how our students are remembering?
There is much to be learned from studies of brain function that has direct implications for how we teach and structure courses. Recent findings shed new light on the internal and external factors that affect acquiring, processing, and recalling knowledge. And a deeper understanding of how the brain works can guide us toward pedagogies that create a more conducive learning environment and promote long-term retention of material. With studies of motivation, emotion, and memory as the backdrop, we will sample some teaching methods that can leverage the brain’s natural processes to enhance learning.
So please join us for breakfast on Wednesday, Oct. 30, from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. in the Badlands Room, Memorial Union, for "Connecting What We Konw About the Science of Memory with Student Learning." If you are interested in what drives learning and remembering, and in adapting your teaching to maximize that process, we’d love to have in you in the conversation. This session will be facilitated by Anne Kelsch, Director of Instructional Development.
Register by Monday, Oct. 28, at noon to attend and reserve breakfast. Visit www.oid.UND.edu to register.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Intramural Badminton Online Registration (All Day)
- Intramural Indoor Ultimate Frisbee Online Registration (All Day)
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- Mold Assessment Technician (8 AM)
- Target Table at the Union (9 AM)
- Academic Advisor Workshops (9 AM)
- Basic Computer Class - Drop-In Computer Help (10 AM)
- UND Art Collections Exhibition (12 PM)
- Training Zone (12 PM)
- Powerhouse Toastmasters Club Meeting (12:10 PM)
- Weight Watchers at Work (12:15 PM)
- New Employee Orientation (1 PM)
- Academic Advisor Workshops (3 PM)
- Beginner Cycling (4 PM)
- Tabata (4:15 PM)
- (editor's pick)Artist Reception: Audrey Flack (4:30 PM)
- Boot Camp with Billy (5 PM)
- Cardio Kick! (6 PM)
- Chilidog Cross Training Series (6 PM)
- Swing Dance (8:30 PM)
- East Coast Swing Dance Class (8:30 PM)