On Teaching Seminar
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
The Tuesday, Nov. 12, On Teaching seminar is titled “Thinking about Privilege in the Classroom: An Open Conversation.” It takes place from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union Badlands Room.
In our classes, we are often exposing students to realities that are new or dissonant, and therefore uncomfortable for them to incorporate or align with the perspectives they brought to the course. Asking our students to consider issues of privilege is challenging -- perhaps even daunting at times. Student responses can vary from resistance to life-altering insight, and while all of us prefer the latter outcome, it seldom comes without working through the former. While there are no easy answers, there are classroom strategies and practices that have been effective in supporting student learning around privilege. We’d like to invite you to join an open conversation about privilege in the classroom. Discuss, with colleagues from across the institution, challenges you have faced and what you have found to work , or not work, in approaching the subject with your students.
Please register by Friday, Nov. 8, at noon to attend and reserve lunch. Visit oid.UND.edu to register.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Women's Basketball at Northern Iowa (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- International Education Week (8 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- UND Art Collections Exhibition (12 PM)
- New to UND and Grand Forks – Join Us! (12 PM)
- NALSA General Meeting and Student Speaker (12:15 PM)
- New Employee Orientation (1 PM)
- Turbo Kick (4 PM)
- Cheap, Fast, and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)This & That Book Club (7 PM)
- American Indian Film Festival (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)
- Ready, Set, SNACK! (8 PM)
- (editor's pick)International Education Week: Emmanuel's Gift (8 PM)
- Hip Hop (8:45 PM)