Comm lecture - soft skills
Thursday, October 31, 2013 2 PM
Ronald Greene will speak at 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 31, in 334 O'Kelly Hall. He will discuss how the call to improve "soft skills" pushes rhetorical education closer to the economy and away from its historical attachment to politics. He will trace the role of rhetorical communication in the cultivation of "soft skills" in economic thinking, economic debates, and economic practices.
Greene bases this talk on his award winning essay, “Another Materialist Rhetoric” for which he will receive the Charles H. Woolbert Research Award this year at the National Communication Association convention. This award is "given to a journal article or book chapter that has stood the test of time and has become a stimulus for new conceptualizations of communication phenomena."
Greene is professor and chair of the Department of Communication Studies, University of Minnesota. His visit is sponsored by the Communication Program and the Communication Graduate Student Alliance as part of the Communication Graduate Colloquium Series.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Intramural Badminton Online Registration (All Day)
- Intramural Indoor Ultimate Frisbee Online Registration (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- Mold Assessment Consultant (8 AM)
- New Employee Orientation (9 AM)
- Toddler Storytime Costume Parade! (10 AM)
- Coffee, Cookies & Conversation (10 AM)
- Indians in Education Seminar (10 AM)
- UND Art Collections Exhibition (12 PM)
- Training Zone (12 PM)
- Cancelled: ZUMBA (4 PM)
- (editor's pick)Haunted Lab (5 PM)
- Halloween at Residence Halls (5 PM)
- Cardio Sculpt (6:15 PM)
- Classic Rock Cycle (6:15 PM)
- enCORE (7:15 PM)
- Yoga Strength (8 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)