Geography Awareness Week
Tuesday, November 19, 2013 All Day
Community Event, Lectures / Seminars
Contact: Brad Rundquist 701.777.4589
Please refer to event description for location details
Geography has planned several events, open to the University community, for Geography Awareness Week (Nov. 17-23) and Geographic Information Systems Day (Nov. 20).
1) We seek submissions for a photography contest. Please submit a digital photograph that illustrates human or physical geography in action or shows the uniqueness of a place in terms of its human or physical geography characteristics. Photos from anywhere on Earth are acceptable. The deadline to submit a photograph is Sunday, Nov. 17. Photos will be displayed in the Memorial Union on Thursday and Friday, Nov. 21 and 22. Please contact Michael Niedzielski (michael.niedzielski@UND.edu) for detailed submission requirements.
2) From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 19, we will host a GPS scavenger hunt. Individuals or groups will be given a list of geographic coordinates on campus and will be required to navigate to them to identify the feature at each. Simply stop by the Geography office (O’Kelly 152) on Nov. 19 to pick up a list. Entrants who have correctly identified all features will be entered into a drawing for prizes. Please contact Gregory Vandeberg (gregory.vandeberg@UND.edu) for details.
3) From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 20, we will host an open house in our Geographic Analysis in Remote Sensing Lab (O’Kelly 116). Please stop by to learn more about GIS and remote sensing, to see examples of research being done at UND using geospatial technologies, and for refreshments.
4) Michael DeMers, a UND alumnus (bachelor's in 1974 and master's in 1980) and professor of Geography at New Mexico State University, will speak at noon on Thursday, Nov. 21, in the Memorial Union Lecture Bowl. The title of his talk is “The UCGIS GIS&T Body of Knowledge: Past, Present, and Future.”
Other Events on This Day
- Men's Basketball at Wisconsin (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- PeopleSoft Queries – what they can do for you! (9 AM)
- Monica Arvidson Open House (10 AM)
- Monica Arvidson Reception (10 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- Interviewing & Hiring (10 AM)
- UND Art Collections Exhibition (12 PM)
- (editor's pick)State of the University Address (3:30 PM)
- Turbo Kick (4 PM)
- Cheap, Fast, and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)Global Visions Film Series: Amreeka (7 PM)
- Aviation Safety Meeting (7 PM)
- (editor's pick)Great Reads Book Club (7 PM)
- Final Approach: Northwest Flight 650 (7 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)
- Trombone Choir Recital (8 PM)
- Hip Hop (8:45 PM)