On Teaching Seminar
Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12 PM - 1 PM
You know the feeling. You are staring down that stack of papers ― or that list of files on the screen ― and you know it is time to start grading. Hopefully, you are excited to see what your students have accomplished in response to your assignment, but it is equally possible that you find yourself in this moment with a sense of dread.
You are not alone. Grading writing is a complex task. The expectations of multiple stakeholders shape the process. Even experienced teachers talk about the need to prepare emotionally to do it.
This On Teaching session will be an opportunity to join in an open conversation with colleagues from across campus: to share the woes, the victories, and the overall experience of grading writing. We’ll talk about our purposes for assigning writing and how those purposes influence how we grade the writing. We’ll also talk about the concrete logistics of doing that grading. We will have a chance to share tips and techniques that can make it faster, smoother, and more fair. Participants will also receive resources to help guide their grading practice.
Please join us! If you’ve found tools that help you with the paper-grading process, we would love to hear about them. If you’re looking for some new tools, this is also a conversation for you.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Denim Day (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- Walmart Table at the Union (8 AM)
- CANCELED: Raising Financially Fit Kids (8 AM)
- Lead Renovator Initial (8 AM)
- Walk-in Wednesday (9 AM)
- NEW! Money Management 2 (9:30 AM)
- Basic Computer Class - Drop-In Computer Help (10 AM)
- (editor's pick)Study Abroad Fair (11 AM)
- Career Fair Success Workshop (11 AM)
- Study Abroad Fair (11 AM)
- The Body Project: Session 2 (12 PM)
- Powerhouse Toastmasters Club Meeting (12:10 PM)
- Coffee, Cookies, & Conversation (1:30 PM)
- ViPR (4 PM)
- Teaching with Technology Reunion & Reception (4:30 PM)
- CycleFit (5 PM)
- Cardio Kick! (6 PM)
- Northern Ink Writers Group (6 PM)
- Basic Computer Class - Drop-In Computer Help Evening Edition (6 PM)
- CYCLExpress (6:15 PM)
- ZUMBA® (7:15 PM)
- Swing Dance (8:30 PM)
- East Coast Swing Dance Class (8:30 PM)