National Health Through Fitness Day
Wednesday, March 5, 2014 All Day
SFIA National Health Through Fitness Day (NHTF Day) is the culmination of a year round effort by the SFIA and its many sponsors and volunteers to pass major U.S. legislation to “Get America Moving.” No longer can we claim that we are too busy and don't have enough time! Click here for some easy ways to stay healthy if you're busy!
For the past 14 years, the SFIA has brought people together in Washington, D.C. to accomplish our goals. Approximately 150 leaders from the sports, fitness, and PE industries meet in early March to lobby Congress to pass key legislation which will help our country overcome a major epidemic, obesity and sedentary lifestyles. Other attendees include company representatives from the food and beverage industry.
Each year 15-20 sports celebrities such as Herschel Walker, Mia Hamm, Abby Wambach, Peyton Manning, Tim Brown, and more come to Washington DC to help our cause. Click here to view the list of 2013 celebrity althetes. They are brought to NHTF Day by major companies such as Nike, Under Armour, Reebok, Prince, Everlast, and Gatorade.
For each registrant of the day, the SFIA creates an individual schedule of Congressional Meetings for registrants that they will follow for the day. Most attendees will be following the same schedule as 5-6 other attendees. Participants of the day will meet their groups that they will be traveling on "The Hill" with the morning of the NHTF Day Breakfast Briefing that is held before the groups travel up to Capitol Hill to begin their day of meetings.
The current legislation the SFIA is focused on for NHTF Day is the Carol M. White Physical Education Act (PEP) and the Personal Health Investment Today Bill (PHIT). Both of these initiatives will help “Get America Moving” and help overcome the obesity crisis.
Other Events on This Day
- Denim Day (All Day)
- Wake Up & Cycle (6:30 AM)
- Yoga Renewal (8 AM)
- OSHA 30 Hour (8 AM)
- Lead Risk Assessor Refresher (8 AM)
- Walk-in Wednesday (9 AM)
- Basic Computer Class - Drop-In Computer Help (10 AM)
- (editor's pick)Meet, Eat and Learn (12 PM)
- Powerhouse Toastmasters Club Meeting (12:10 PM)
- Weight Watchers (12:15 PM)
- Facebook Security & Privacy – Best Practices (1 PM)
- Coffee, Cookies, & Conversation (1:30 PM)
- Healthy Lifestyles in Older Adults (3 PM)
- ViPR (4 PM)
- Faculty Show Opening Reception (4 PM)
- Teen Cafe` @ The Grand Forks Public Library (4 PM)
- CycleFit (5 PM)
- Socrates Cafe (5:30 PM)
- Cardio Kick! (6 PM)
- Northern Ink Writers Group (6 PM)
- CYCLExpress (6:15 PM)
- Introduction to Ceramics (6:30 PM)
- Freedom Barrel: North Dakota Voices on Feminism and Sexism (7 PM)
- Bakkenization: 300 Years of Globalizing Frontiers in ND (7 PM)
- ZUMBA® (7:15 PM)
- Duo Junior Trumpet Recital (8 PM)
- Swing Dance (8:30 PM)
- East Coast Swing Dance Class (8:30 PM)