Karen V. Hansen Lecture
Friday, February 28, 2014 7 PM - 8 PM
Culture, Lectures / Seminars, Museum / Gallery Exhibit
Contact: Brian Lofthus 701.777.4195
Contact Dept: North Dakota Museum of Art
North Dakota Museum of Art
261 Centennial Dr.
Grand Forks, ND 58202
ELAINE MCKENZIE MEMORIAL LECTURE GIVEN BY KAREN V. HANSEN.
Karen V. Hansen will give the Elaine McKenzie Memorial Lecture at the North Dakota Museum of Art. There will be a book signing immediately following the lecture. The event is free and open to the public.
Hansen is Professor of Sociology, and Women's and Gender Studies at Brandeis University. She recently published her latest book, titled Encounter on the Great Plains: Scandinavian Settlers and the Dispossession of Dakota Indians, 1890 - 1930, which chronicles the lives of the Dakota, and Norwegian and Swedish settlers on the Spirit Lake Reservation.
About the Book
In 1904, the first Scandinavian settlers moved onto the Spirit Lake Dakota Indian Reservation. These land-hungry immigrants struggled against severe poverty, often becoming the sharecropping tenants of Dakota landowners. Yet the homesteaders' impoverishment did not impede their quest to acquire Indian land, and by 1929 Scandinavians owned more reservation acreage than their Dakota neighbors. Norwegian homesteader Helena Haugen Kanten put it plainly: "We stole the land from the Indians."
With this largely unknown story at its center, Encounter on the Great Plains brings together two dominant processes in American history: the unceasing migration of newcomers to North America, and the protracted dispossession of indigenous peoples who inhabited the continent. Drawing on fifteen years of archival research and 130 oral histories, Karen V. Hansen explores the epic issues of co-existence between settlers and Indians and the effect of racial hierarchies, both legal and cultural, on marginalized peoples.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Men's Swimming & Diving WAC Championships (All Day)
- Women's Swimming & Diving at WAC Championships (All Day)
- Men's Track & Field at Big Sky Indoor Championship (All Day)
- Breakfast Chat Fridays (9 AM)
- UND Baseball vs. Houston Baptist (11 AM)
- (editor's pick)Spirit Week: Pay it Forward Friday (11 AM)
- Healthy UND Monthly Meeting (12 PM)
- Women's Track & Field - Big Sky Indoor Championship (12 PM)
- CoBPA Faculty Research Seminar Series (12 PM)
- Crock Pot Cooking (12:30 PM)
- Student Showcase Recital (2 PM)
- UND Baseball vs. Kansas (3 PM)
- Yoga Renewal (3:15 PM)
- Between Cycling & Me (4 PM)
- Physics & Astrophysics Colloquium (4 PM)
- Dearly Departed (7:30 PM)
- The Shadow Box (7:30 PM)
- Men's Hockey at SCSU (7:35 PM)
- Senior Voice Recital (8 PM)
- (editor's pick)UPC After Dark: Magician Daniel Martin (9 PM)