(editor's pick)UND Writers Conference: Robert Pinsky and the UND Jazz Ensemble
Thursday, April 3, 2014 8 PM - 9 PM
Join us at the 45th Annual UND Writers Conference for a performance of PoemJazz by Robert Pinsky and members of UND’s Jazz Ensemble on Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 8 p.m at the North Dakota Museum of Art.
Former three-time US Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky is the author of nineteen books, including original poetry and prose, literary translations, and literary criticism. Pinsky is known as a public, or “civic,” poet, and he has been vocal in privileging contemporary American speech, rather than high intellectual diction, in poetry.
Along with his interest in American speech, he has cited his passion for jazz music as his earliest inspiration for writing poetry. “In jazz, as in poetry,” Pinsky said, “there is always that play between what's regular and what's wild. That has always appealed to me.” Unsurprisingly, then, his current project of focus, titled PoemJazz, marks his collaboration with notable jazz musicians in creating a presentation where the human voice, speaking poetry, can be received as an instrument similar to a horn, possessing its own melody and rhythm.
For the complete schedule and more information, see our website at www.undwritersconference.org.
All UND Writers Conference events are free and open to the public. Free parking is available.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking and Transportation Services, 3925 Campus Rd Stop 9030 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).
Other Events on This Day
- 45th Annual UND Writers Conference: "Imagine: A Literary Festival on the Prairie" (All Day)
- Kujenga Registration (12 AM)
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- (editor's pick)North Dakota State Science & Engineering Fair (8 AM)
- Lead Renovator Initial (8 AM)
- Toddler Storytime (10 AM)
- Softball at Indiana State (12 PM)
- Biomedical Graduate Student Luncheon (12 PM)
- Marijuana and Federalism: Current Conflicts in State and Federal Law (12:20 PM)
- New Employee Orientation (1 PM)
- Softball at Indiana State (2 PM)
- Coffee Break Yoga (2:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)UND Writers Conference: Presentation by Sarah Leavitt (4 PM)
- CrossCycle (4 PM)
- Tabata I (4:15 PM)
- Tabata II (5 PM)
- GFPL Animanga Club (6 PM)
- Helen Hamilton Day Dinner (6 PM)
- Cardio Sculpt (6:15 PM)
- WAR (7:15 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)
- Gentle Yoga (8:30 PM)