Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12 PM - 7 PM
Kids & Families, Community Event, Museum / Gallery Exhibit
Contact: Craig Garaas-Johnson 701.777.2493
Empire Arts Center
415 DeMers Avenue
Grand Forks, ND 58201
The University of North Dakota Department of Physics & Astrophysics, working with students from Red River High School in Grand Forks, will present their second exhibit of high school student artworks based on nano particles at an exhibition next week at the Empire Arts Center.
The exhibition is called NanoArt:Hidden Landscapes.
At UND, Nuri Oncel, an assistant professor in Physics and Astrophysics, uses a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) to render images of particles, and even individual atoms. The images are often geometric and distorted in ways that alter the viewer's perception of an object or material.
"I remember how I was amazed when I first saw an STM image," he said. "The science and technology behind these images is jaw dropping."
Seeking a way to share these images with the public, Nuri contacted Betsy Thaden, an art teacher at Red River High School. Students were selected for a unique art project to interpret the computer-rendered imagery into art.
The exhibit of this year's "NanoArt" will be in the Empire Theater in downtown Grand Forks. The schedule follows:
Tuesday, April 29, noon to 5 p.m.
Wednesday, April 30, noon to 7 p.m.
Thursday, May 1, noon to 7 p.m.
*****The exhibit will also include an Artists' Reception Thursday, May 1st from 5-7 p.m.
Other Events on This Day
- Sunrise Yoga (6:15 AM)
- Mold Assessment Technician (8 AM)
- NEW! How to Recognize Substance Abuse in the Workplace and What’s Next (9 AM)
- Mapping Game Theory to Your Class – April 29 (9 AM)
- Preschool Storytime (10 AM)
- Maximize Your Metabolism and Lose Weight (12:10 PM)
- Ying Dong Doctoral Examination (1:30 PM)
- Patsy and Gerry Nies Retirement Reception (2:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)Email Etiquette (3 PM)
- Kristin Anne Garaas-Johnson Doctoral Examination (3 PM)
- Rachael Agre Doctoral Examination (4 PM)
- Tabata I (4:15 PM)
- Tabata II (5 PM)
- Asian Heritage Expo (5 PM)
- Cheap, Fast, and Healthy (5:30 PM)
- Barre (6:15 PM)
- UND Baseball at NDSU (6:30 PM)
- ZUMBA (7:15 PM)
- (editor's pick)University Band "Pops" Concert (8 PM)
- Night Ride (8 PM)
- Gentle Yoga (8:30 PM)