Benjamin Hylden Book Signing
Friday, May 9, 2014 11 AM - 1 PM
Student Benjamin Hylden will hold a book-signing event for new book Finding Faith in the Field, which documents his inspirational and miraculous recovery from a near-fatal car accident in northeastern North Dakota, and the journey of faith that began that day.
The book signing is scheduled to take place between 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., on Friday on Friday, May 9 at the UND Bookstore.
About the Book
On a cold April day a few years ago, Ben Hylden, currently a senior at UND, tried on his suit coat for his upcoming high school prom, then sped toward nearby Park River, N.D., for an appointment. Running late and driving too fast, he lost control of his car on ice, flipped the car and was thrown out the passenger door. He plunged face first into an icy farm field. At that point, his face and body were crushed, along with his dreams of being a basketball star.
As his battered and nearly unrecognizable body lay in the field, his life seemed to be coming to an end. However, it turned out to only be the beginning of a remarkable journey with glimpses of life beyond this world. It also gave him a new perspective on what matters most.
Finding Faith in the Field was released on April 6, 2014 and is being sold on Amazon as well as six regional stores: Ferguson Books, Christian Bookshelf, Grafton (N.D.) Drug, Hugo’s Supermarkets, The UND Bookstore, and Ye Olde Medicine Center in Park River, N.D. He’s also working to get his book listed with Barnes and Noble and on iTunes.
Hylden, who will pursue a master’s degree in counseling, started writing his inspirational book while he was a junior and has since been aided along the way by UND Assistant Professor of Communication Timothy Pasch.
“The feedback and the success of the book has been amazing and far past what I ever expected," Hylden said.
He also has decided to pursue a career in motivational speaking as a result of his experiences.
The Retelling Co. published the book.
Other Events on This Day
- CoBPA Candidate Visit - Michael Song (All Day)
- (editor's pick)Reading and Review Day (All Day)
- Softball at Big Sky Conference Championship (All Day)
- Men's Track & Field at NDSU Tune-Up (All Day)
- GGFYP Leadercast (7:30 AM)
- Order of the Engineer Informational Meeting (9 AM)
- Andrew Freeman Design Innovation Competition (9 AM)
- Free Paper Shredding (11 AM)
- Steven Rand CD Signing (11 AM)
- Jiao Chen Doctoral Examination (12 PM)
- Women's Track & Field at NDSU Tune-Up (12 PM)
- Joel Jonientz Tree Planting Ceremony (12:30 PM)
- Phyllis E. Johnson Retirement Reception (1 PM)
- (editor's pick)Lavender Graduation (3 PM)
- (editor's pick)Physics & Astrophysics Colloquium (4 PM)
- UND Baseball vs. Grand Canyon (5 PM)
- North Dakota Ballet Company Recital (6:30 PM)