UND Writers Conference: Mario Ybarra, Jr. Presentation
Friday, March 24, 2017 4 PM
Join us at the 48th Annual UND Writers Conference, “Citizen,” featuring a presentation by Mario Ybarra, Jr.
Mario Ybarra, Jr. is a Los Angeles-based artist who creates artworks that he considers forms of portraiture and landscape. Founder of the art collective Slanguage, Ybarra draws inspiration from southern California’s unique mix of inhabitants, history, and street culture for his large-scale multi-media installations and public performances. His artworks not only reflect his experience as a Mexican-American resident of Los Angeles, but also consider the Mestizaje or racial/cultural mixing found in other parts of the world.
Ybarra received his MFA from University of California, Irvine, in 2001. He has had solo exhibitions at Brown Gallery, London, United Kingdom (2009); Bob Van Orsouw, Zurich, Switzerland (2008); and Lehmann Maupin Gallery, New York, New York (2008). His work has been included in many group exhibitions, including Installations Inside/Out: Armory 20th Anniversary Exhibition, Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena, California (2009); San Juan Poly/Graphic Triennial of the Instituto de Cultura Puertorriqueña, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2009); Phantom Sightings: Art After the Chicano Movement, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, California (2008); and Whitney Biennial, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, New York (2008).
You can read more about Slanguage at http://www.slanguagestudio.com/.
Free parking available.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking and Transportation Services, 3925 Campus Rd Stop 9030 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).
Other Events on This Day
- Denim Spirit Day (All Day)
- Snow Country Prison (9 AM)
- UND Writers Conference: Public Reading (10 AM)
- CRCS Science Cafe: “Fractal Dimension of Remotely Sensed Data” (11 AM)
- Drop In and Knit (12 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Panel "Community" (12 PM)
- Crockpot Cooking: Chicken Fajitas (12:30 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Film "Reel Injun" (2 PM)
- UND Music All Voice Studio Recital (3 PM)
- Summer Mini-Project Grants (3:15 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Film "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (6 PM)
- Community Orchestra (7:30 PM)
- Jay Owenhouse (7:30 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Jennine Capó Crucet Reading (8 PM)