CRCS Science Cafe: "Helpful Hydrogels: A Useful Tool for Hands-on Learning"
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11 AM
ND EPSCoR's Center for Regional Climate Studies presents a Science Cafe Series March 22-24, 2017 at UND's Memorial Union co-located with the 48th Annual UND Writers Conference.
In "Helpful Hydrogels: A Useful Tool for Hands-on Learning," Dr. Cindy Juntunen, Dr. Ashley Hutchinson and Meara Thombre, will talk about how to incorporate science experiments in k-12 schools.
Hydrogels are a kind of nontoxic polymer that can absorb 500 times their weight worth of water. This unique characteristic of hydrogels makes them very useful material for creating such things as contact lens and diapers. However, one of the most important uses of hydrogels is to help keep lakes and rivers clean by preventing water runoff and soil erosion. In this demonstration, we will show how hydrogels can be used in the classroom to help young students get engaged with hands on learning. This talk will be followed by a period of time when the presenters will answer questions from the audience.
Free and open to the public. Free parking available (in lots marked UND Writers Conference Parking)
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking and Transportation Services, 3925 Campus Rd Stop 9030 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).
Other Events on This Day
- Pilates (6:30 AM)
- Mold 8-hr (8 AM)
- Active Learning Series Session 4: Flipping the classroom (9 AM)
- Snow Country Prison (9 AM)
- Baby Storytime (10 AM)
- Drop-In Computer Help (10 AM)
- UND Writers Conference: Public Reading (10 AM)
- FIDC Committee Meeting (11 AM)
- Host-Pathogen CoBRE speaker (12 PM)
- Provost’s Open Office Hours (12 PM)
- Sitting Meditation (12 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Panel "Refuge" (12 PM)
- Free meditation (12 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Film "Journey from the Fall" (1:30 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Mai Der Vang Reading (4 PM)
- Tabata (5 PM)
- Cheap, Fast & Healthy: Banana Oatmeal Pancakes (5:30 PM)
- Cardio Sculpt (5:45 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Film "The Split Horn: The Life of a Hmong Shaman" (6 PM)
- Classic Re-Reads Book Club (7 PM)
- Turbokick (7 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Viet Thanh Nguyen Reading (8 PM)
- Yoga Strength (8 PM)