CRCS Science Cafe: “Fractal Dimension of Remotely Sensed Data”
Friday, March 24, 2017 11 AM
ND EPSCoR's Center for Regional Climate Studies presents a Science Cafe Series March 22-24, 2017 at UND's Memorial Union co-located with the 48th Annual UND Writers Conference.
The availability and resolution of images from satellites and unmanned air systems (UAS) is rapidly increasing. This means that we can ask questions that were only of theoretical interest in the past. One such question is the fractal dimension of geographical features. Take the coasts of lakes or oceans. Coastlines have bays and peninsula on a large scale, but when we zoom in, details may become visible that were hidden on the larger scale. Structures
that have this property are called self-similar or “fractal.” We will look at the fractal nature of the coastline of Lake Sakakawea, and see how the fractal dimension can be calculated. In fact, it has become so easy to do these computations that the local fractal dimension can be treated as an additional layer of information, much like data from a different kind of physical sensor, but cheaper to obtain. This talk will be followed by a period of time when Dr. Anne Denton (Department of Computer Science and Operations Research, NDSU) will answer questions from the audience.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking and Transportation Services, 3925 Campus Rd Stop 9030 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).
Other Events on This Day
- Denim Spirit Day (All Day)
- Snow Country Prison (9 AM)
- UND Writers Conference: Public Reading (10 AM)
- Drop In and Knit (12 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Panel "Community" (12 PM)
- Crockpot Cooking: Chicken Fajitas (12:30 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Film "Reel Injun" (2 PM)
- UND Music All Voice Studio Recital (3 PM)
- Summer Mini-Project Grants (3:15 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Mario Ybarra, Jr. Presentation (4 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Film "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (6 PM)
- Community Orchestra (7:30 PM)
- Jay Owenhouse (7:30 PM)
- UND Writers Conference: Jennine Capó Crucet Reading (8 PM)