(editor's pick)Public Relativity Lecture
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8 PM - 9 PM
Physics and Astrophysics will offer a series of four lectures on the Theory of Relativity. They will commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the publication of the first testable prediction of the theory of general relativity in 1911 by Einstein.
The lectures are set for Tuesdays, Oct. 4, 11, 18, and 25 from 8 to 9 p.m. (trailers at 9 p.m.) in 100 Leonard Hall. The format for each lecture is a formal one-hour presentation with a one-hour trailer for those that would like a more in-depth understanding of the mathematics in relativity.
William Schwalm and Tim Young, both of physics, will present the special and general theory of relativity, a modern of view of how objects move in the universe through curved space-time.
Discussions of particles traveling faster than light will be discussed. In violation of Einstein’s postulate. Three door prizes per lecture will be picked at random. For those that can’t attend in-person, they can watch it online live at https://conted.breeze.und.nodak.edu/relativity/. More information is available at http://www.physics.und.edu.
Parking InformationUnless special parking arrangements have been stated above, off-campus guests for this event may use the pay-as-you-go option in the Parking Ramp (corner of 2nd Ave N and Columbia Road), the Visitor Lot (off Centennial Drive), or a Parking Meter. Parking in any other parking lot on-campus requires a parking pass which can be purchased directly through UND Parking Services, Twamley Hall Rm 204 (M, W-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Tu 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM).
Other Events on This Day
- Walking Challenge for staff and faculty (All Day)
- Sunrise Yoga (6:30 AM)
- Angel Investing Workshop (8 AM)
- Keep Going (9 AM)
- (editor's pick)2011 Arts and Culture Conference (9:30 AM)
- (editor's pick)Seth Tobocman Artist Lecture (9:30 AM)
- Preschool Story Time (10 AM)
- Graphic Radicals: 30 Years of World War 3 Illustrated (11 AM)
- Healthy UND Annual Meeting (11:30 AM)
- (editor's pick)Sabrina Jones Artist Lecture (12:30 PM)
- CIA Information Session (2 PM)
- WW3 Panel featuring Peter Kuper, Seth Tobocman and Sabrina Jones (3 PM)
- Weight Watchers 17 week series (4:45 PM)
- (editor's pick)Wellness Center 5th Birthday Open House (5 PM)
- Zumba (30 min) (5 PM)
- CIA Information Session (5 PM)
- CIA Student Info Session (5 PM)
- First Timers Cycling (5:15 PM)
- Tuesday Wine Club (5:30 PM)
- (editor's pick)Black Cat Bash (5:30 PM)
- Halliburton Energy Services Info Session (5:30 PM)
- Halliburton Student Info Session (5:30 PM)
- TurboKick (5:45 PM)
- Peace Corps Info Session (6 PM)
- Peace Corps Student Info Session (6 PM)
- Abs Blast! (7 PM)
- Cycling with GLEE! (7 PM)
- (editor's pick)Computer Music: Art and Application (7 PM)
- CIA Information Session (7 PM)
- Zumba (7:45 PM)
- Swing Dance (9 PM)