- Energy at UND
- Energy changes at UND
- Facilities Online Metering
- Energy Links
- Energy and Recycling Tips
- Building Services/Custodial
- Central Warehouse
- Departmental Moves
- Hopper Danley Spiritual Center
- Pest Control Service
- Snow Removal
- Space Utilization
- Steam Plant
Green Cleaning Program
The UND Green Campus Initiative and Facilities Management have developed a Green Cleaning program – cleaning to protect health without harming the environment. The program introduces environmentally friendly cleaning methods that are also healthier for both building occupants and custodial staff.
How does Green Cleaning work?
Green Cleaning chooses cleaning methods and equipment that improve the health of building: and that means more than just substituting for chemicals. Methods include preventing soil from entering the building, using efficient cleaning methods that dramatically minimize chemical use, using efficient product dilution control systems, contributing to indoor air quality by selecting high-filtration vacuum systems and minimizing waste by utilizing reusable microfiber towels.
The cleaning products used in the Green Cleaning program are certified by Green Seal, an independent, non-profit certification program, which has become the leading eco-label for the U.S. cleaning industry. We are using only Green Seal recommended paper products, including hand towels, toilet paper, and tissues that are unbleached or bleached in an environmentally preferred way, have a high recycled content, and have less packaging. We are also using efficient toilet paper and hand towel dispensers that minimize waste.
What you might notice:
- Paper towels are brown because they are made from unbleached recycled materials.
- Some of the cleaning chemical fragrances and colors may not be the same, or present at all. Environmentally preferred products typically contain only the agents and chemical compounds needed to clean, without unnecessary additives.
- Floors may not be as shiny because we use fewer chemicals or environmentally preferred products to clean them (don't worry they are just as clean as before).
- The paper towel dispenser only gives you one sheet of towel at a time – please only take as much as you really need!
A Greener Future!
The success of Green Cleaning is spreading quickly. UND joins many local and state governments, schools, universities, businesses and private organizations throughout the country in leading the conversion to Green Cleaning programs. It is becoming widely recognized that properly focused building cleaning can be both environmentally responsible and an important contributor to building occupant health.