Licensed Logo Vendors
The University has the following responsibilities and obligations established in connection with the use of the University's name and trademarks.
Only manufacturers licensed by UND to reproduce its marks may do so legally. These legal regulations apply to UND entities such as departments, administrative areas, and organizations as well as non-UND users. Payments to a non-licensed vendor will be denied. The listing of vendors approved and licensed to reproduce verbiage and logos for the University of North Dakota is available at LRGUSA.com. Click on "Licensing" and then under helpful links, click "Licensee and Products List." On this page you can type in "North Dakota," click search and when the page loads, click on "View" next to "North Dakota, University of" to see the list of licensed vendors for UND. You may need to allow pop-ups on the site in order for this window to open. Once the window opens, and it can take a minute or two, you can search by product to find licensed vendors who produce what you're looking for or by vendor name if you already have a vendor in mind. Simply type in the product or vendor name in the "Find" box (at the top) and hit "Enter." Continue hitting "Enter" until you find what you're looking for.
To become a licensed logo vendor, vendors need to contact the Licensing Resource Group at LRGUSA.com.
Please refer to Logo Frequently Asked Questions
Those within the University may use North Dakota names and trademarks, according to established visual and editorial guidelines*, for purposes of recruitment, development, or general promotion of the institution and/or group organization. Merchandise or specialty product items, such as T-shirts, pens or ball caps, are subject to promotional agreement and approval by the University.
To ensure the correct procedures are followed, each organization must fill out the Trademarks Use Request Form before the merchandise or specialty item is approved. The form waives royalty payments required by UND. Written requests for a royalty waiver must be sent to Sara Narveson, Licensing Coordinator. All exemptions are determined on an individual basis. The form must be filled out and submitted each time product is needed. Merchandise cannot be reproduced on the same request. It is the responsibility of the UND Organization to ensure the form is correctly filled out.
Please refer to Logo Frequently Asked Questions
If your organization will be using the University of North Dakota names and trademarks, this is the process to be followed:
- All organizations MUST purchase items through a licensed vendor.
- If the organization is re-selling the merchandise for a profit – they (the on-campus organization) are required to pay royalties and the organization MUST utilize a company that is licensed to use UND's mark to produce the merchandise.
- If the organization is using the merchandise for in-house purposes or for giveaways, the royalties may be waived. The company used MUST be a licensed company.
- Submit a Trademarks Use Request Form, titled Internal Artwork Approval Form to Sara Narveson. The form is reviewed and the organization will be notified if the vendor is approved and if royalties are to be charged.
- The organization works with the vendor on the design. The vendor submits the design for review using Trademarx Online. Sara Narveson reviews and approves the design. The vendor then notifies the organization of the design approval.
- The organization submits a Purchase Requisition for Trademarked Items (forms page) to the Purchasing Department. The Purchasing Departments allows the use of a Purchase Requisition for Trademarked Items, the Purchasing Card or an AP eForm.
- Purchasing verifies the design has been approved and the vendor is Licensed and sends back form to organization.
All goods bearing North Dakota names and trademarks must be licensed. Review all protected verbiage and marks.
Each promotional material MUST be approved through retailers and licensees that are licensed through UND. A list of local retailer and licensees may be obtained from the UND Purchasing Department or by visiting the website: UND Licensed Logo Vendors – Standard Licenses.
Please ensure your organization is following these guidelines for merchandising purposes. Please feel free to contact Sara Narveson (701.777.2132) or the Purchasing Department (701.777.2681) with any questions or concerns you may have regarding any licensing questions.
How to pay:
All purchases are required to be processed either on a purchase requisition, departmental purchasing card, or AP eForm.
Non University Procedures:
Those outside the University may not use the University of North Dakota name or trademarks for any promotional or commercial purpose without appropriate permission from the Vice President for Finance and Operations and the Licensing Department.
Sara Narveson, 701.777.2132
*UND graphic identity style and standards were developed at the request of the President of the University of North Dakota and with endorsement of the President's Cabinet. Changes and additions to these regulations will be made from time to time. The effective date of this version is the year 2002. Questions and comments should be directed to:
Division of University & Public Affairs
University of North Dakota
103 Twamley Hall Room 415
264 Centennial Drive Stop 8179
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8179