- What is Counseling?
- Group Counseling
- Individual Counseling
- Couples Counseling
- Psychiatric Consultations
- Privacy Practices
- Psychology Internship
- Psychology Doctoral Practicum
- Master's Counseling Practicum
- Clinical GSA Practicum
The UCC has a same-day crisis walk-in service that is designed to assist students who are confronting life-threatening circumstances, current or recent traumatic crises, and serious mental illness.
Some examples include:
- suicidal or homicidal thoughts or actions
- recent sexual assault
- the death of a significant person in the student's life
Much like a visit to the emergency room of a hospital, crisis contacts occur the day that a student makes initial contact with us, and the contact takes priority over the student's previously scheduled activities (e.g., class, work, meetings). A counselor would meet with you to do an assessment of the circumstances surrounding your crisis, identify and implement strategies for dealing with the crisis, and make recommendations as to how to proceed. A follow-up appointment may be scheduled.
An on-call counselor is available anytime on Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Based on your need, you can come on a crisis walk-in basis to the University Counseling Center (located at 200 McCannel Hall) or can call us (701-777-2127) during those same hours to schedule an appointment.
If you have an emergency after our normal weekday business hours or on the weekend, please call FIRSTLINK, at 701-777-2127 and press "1" to be connected to the crisis line. FIRSTLINK will provide information, support, referrals, and, if needed, will transfer your call to the UCC professional staff member on call that can provide emergency consultation. If FIRSTLINK is unavailable, dial 911 or proceed to the emergency room at Altru Hospital or call them at 701-780-5280.
If you require emergency medical intervention, please contact 911, and arrange transportation to the nearest hospital emergency room.
National Helpline Information
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) (24 hrs/day)
- National Hopeline Network
- 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
- Text Telephone: 1-800-799-4TTY (1-800-799-4889)
- Military Veterans Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (Press 1)
- Suicide Hotline in Spanish: 1-888-628-9454
- LGBT Youth Suicide Hotline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
- Emergency: 911 (24 hrs/day)
- UND Counseling Center: 701-777-2127 (24 hrs/day)
- UND Dean of Students: 701-777-2664 (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F)
- UND Care Team: 701-777-2664 (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F)
- UND Care Team: 701-777-3491 (evenings and weekends)
- UND Campus Police: 701-777-3491 (24 hours)
UND Housing Office: 701-777-4251 (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F)
- Residence Hall Information: 701-777-3565
- UND Facilities Maintenance: 701-777-2591 (24 hrs/day)
- UND Student Health: 701-777-4500 (24 hours)
- UND Women's Center:701-777-4300 (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F)
- UND Information: 701-777-4321 (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F)
Grand Forks Community Services
- Emergency (Ambulance, Fire, Police): 911
- Abuse and Rape Crisis Hotline: 701-746-8900 (24 hrs)
- Community Violence Intervention Center: 701-746-0405 (days)
- Community Violence Intervention Center: 701-749-8900 (evenings)
- Grand Forks County Social Services: 701-787-8500
- Northeast Human Service Center: 701-795-3000
- Northeast Human Service Center Crisis Line: 701-775-0525
- Grand Forks Police Department: 701-787-8000 (24 hours)
- Grand Forks Sheriff Department: 701-780-8280
- Emergency Room: 701-780-5280
- Main Switchboard: 701-780-5000
- Room Information: 701-780-5234
- Clinic: 701-780-6000
- Family Medicine Residency: 701-780-6800 (on UND campus)
The information contained on this web page is maintained by the University Counseling Center. It is not intended to be a substitute for mental health services provided by a mental health professional.
In addition, the user assumes responsibility for interpretation and use of any information contained on this website – and assumes the risk that the information may not meet anticipated needs and requirements.