- Making an appointment
- About your appointment
- Billing and Insurance
- Your Rights and Privacy
- General Care
- International Students
- Flight Physicals
- STD Testing
- Mental Health
NDUS Endorsed Health Care Plan for Students
The North Dakota University System (NDUS) is pleased to offer health insurance coverage to NDUS students through United Healthcare insurance company. Domestic student (i.e. American citizens) are not required by the NDUS to carry this coverage, and we know many of you may be covered by your parents' insurance until age 26. However, the Affordable Care Act does require that you carry some sort of health insurance, and this plan is an option.
A Qualifying Life Event (QLE) is required for the primary insured and dependents to be eligible to enroll in a student health insurance plan at a time that does not coincide with a pre-determined Coverage Period/Enrollment Period for the school. Premiums are not pro-rated and enrollment in the plan must occur within 30 days of the QLE. QLEs include:
- New Born Child (this is only the new born, not the family of the newborn too)
- Adoption of Change in Legal Guardianship
- Change in Marital Status (primary insured only)
- Loss of coverage under parent's plan due to age restrictions
A refund (pro-rated or in full) is only given for entry into the military.
The enrollment period for domestic students to enroll in the spring/summer (January 1, 2015 to August 15, 2015) term is currently open and will remain open until January 31, 2015.
Karen Lesch of United Healthcare will serve as the contact for students (domestic only) who intend to enroll in the spring/summer term student health insurance plan and need to wait to enroll until they have access to their student financial aid for spring 2015 (to be disbursed approximately January 27, 2015). Students will need to notify Karen before January 1, 2015. Direct line for Karen Lesch at UHC-SR is 1-800-237-0903 ext. 6253 and email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Domestic students: Enrollment is done on United Healthcare's website. Follow these steps:
- Go to United Healthcare's website
- Select your school from the list in the center of the page
- On the next screen, follow the directions on the right to enroll now for yourself and your spouse and/or dependent(s).
- Need help? Contact United Healthcare's customer service at 1-877-433-6667 or email@example.com Student Health Insurance Brochure
How do I enroll my spouse/domestic partner and/or dependent(s)?
You are able to enroll your spouse and/or dependent(s) at the time you enroll. See "How Do I Enroll" for more information.
International students: Your school will provide United Healthcare with your information and you will be automatically enrolled. You do not need to go online to enroll. If you have a dependent and/or spouse whom you would like to enroll, please follow these steps:
- Go to United Healthcare's Dependent Coverage Request webpage
- Complete the required online form
- Please note, your spouse and/or dependent(s)'s enrollment will be added to your online United Healthcare account. The processing of this information may take a few days.
- Need help? Contact United Healthcare's customer service at 1-877-433-6667 or firstname.lastname@example.org International Student Health Insurance Brochure
I'm a UND graduate assistant and my department is paying for my insurance, do I need to enroll? Please refer to School of Graduate Studies:
Graduate Student Health Insurance Page.
Click here for UnitedHealthCare FAQs including eligibility criteria, enrollment options, premium information and payment options.
Who can I contact with questions?
Information is located at http://www.uhcsr.com/NDUS
or call 877-433-6667
Domestic Graduate Assistants:
Kim Wickersham, Assistantship Coordinator
All International Students:
Colleen Hutchinson, International Student Advisor
NDUS Director of Student Affairs